2.02" or 1.90" valve for street stroker

Hey guys, I know that this has been covered before, but I am just looking for a couple opinions directed more to my question.

I have just put together a 331 stroker shortblock with the FRPP E303 cam. I'll likely be using a set of 1.7 RR to give me approximately .530" lift. This car will be 95% driven on the street. I am wondering which heads would suit my needs best. I am thinking that the 2.02" valve would give me more of the full potential out of the stroker but I am wondering if the 1.90" or 1.94" valves would be better for making power beneath 5500 rpm or so.

I am kind of thinking that a set of the GT40X heads may be good for my needs. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

If you're sticking with the E303 cam then i'd go with 1.90s, but if you have a good intake like a Systemax, and you can afford a custom cam, then i'd go with the 2.02s. My buddy's 347 has Edel Victor heads which are either 2.02 or 2.05 and with a custom cam he made 385hp/400tq, and the dyno guy said to break the engine in and change to synthetic and bring it back and he can tune it to make 400hp. I think the key is to just match it up with the right cam and intake, otherwise you'll have too much intake valve and won't really be reaching what the heads can do.

Oh, and he was making 325tq at just 2500rpm so it's a great street setup.

Thanks for the input. I already have the E303, so I will surely be using that. I plan to be using the edelbrock performer intake because it seems to have a street friendly rpm range. You make a pretty good point about how I wont really need a huge intake valve if I am using a mild cam and intake anyhow.

The only thing I would be concerned about would be starving the thirsty 331 for air and fuel.

Remember, there is a ton more to do with a cylinder head rather than the intake valve diameter.

There could be a head with a 1.90" intake valve out perform a cylinder head with a 2.02" intake valve.