2.3 automatic transmission Help

Phredmizzel

May 5, 2006
I have a 93 Lx convert. That I got as a project car i'm doing the 5.0 swap ....well 347 swap But in a trun of bad luck and Gas prices i need this car to drive to work for awhile.But the transmission Is going out. I do have an automatic transmission That came off of a 76 mavric. If I was to change the Bellhouseings would it work on my 2.3 ?? .Some guys I work with say yeah but I want to ask more people.

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure what the question is. Which engine do you want a trans for?

The 2.3 auto trans is an A4LD, with an integral bellhousing. The bolt pattern is different than the small block v8. A 76 Maverick most likely had a 3 speed C4, with a bellhousing to fit a 250 straight 6 or 302. This bellhousing won't fit a 2.3 that I know of. I think they are the same, but some of the other 6 cyls are different again.

There are C4 bellhousings for 2.3s' but they only came on a couple years of Pintos, and are hard to find used. Guess you would need the Pinto torque converter also. I have not seen this done.

Easiest fix is to round up a cheap A4LD replacement, or even a T5. I got a matching, working A4LD for $125.

Of course, then, I found all the T5 stuff for $200. Got it now, too.