2.3 carb and power problems

PUZMAN

Jul 31, 2003
Ok so I drive my car out to my girl friends house. I spend the night and in the morning I go and I open up my hood. I proceed to take off the air cleaner to look and see what carb my car actually has. Being an 85 2.3 4spd car it is definitely equipped with a one barrel piece of crap carb. But that’s not the main problem. I put the air cleaner back on and go to drive the thing and now it has no power, it doesn’t want to rev past about 3,000rpm, it is making this weird sound (some what like a vacuum sound or possibly like a muffled exhaust leak), and if I drive for more then a few min the exhaust manifold gets red hot, but the eng temp is normal. I took the air cleaner back off and everything looks good, the choke seems to be working ok and there seems to be no obstructions or anything out of the norm that I can see. I am thinking now that it had nothing to do with me but just a freak coincidence. I don’t really know what is going on; would these symptoms be relevant to a clogged catalytic converter? Please help!!! Any thoughts would be great.

Also would a 5200 series carb bolt rite on? Would it be worth going to the 5200? If not where can I find a rebuild kit for mine?

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)