2.3 electrical issues (due to un-resposible mechanic) HELP!

\\J//

Aug 31, 2009
SSF, CA
I bought this car about 2 weeks ago never bothered repairing it, starts right up and runs fine and strong. problem is check engine light is on due to icm and i dont know if its normal but when i turn my highbeams on only the right hand side headlight highbeam and the driverside headlight completely turns off. previous owners mechanic has told him the icm went bad and on spark plug wire has no spark. the car is currently wired to a sound system when i say wired i mean pulled wires redirected wires re-wired ect. seems like a few wires were re-routed the fan is rewired so it can turn on when i turn the car on so it doesnt work when the engine is heating up (mind of its own). also need help replacing the icm i may be going with a msd 6al (might aswell since the previous owner told me the icm went bad). there is also some audio wires connected to the battery that is cut which serves no purpose but holds some other wires in place :shrug: i really dont know but when i first bought it there was a **** load of grease fingerprints allover the car so my best guess is a ****ty mechanic worked his dirty hands to wire up this "beat" and didnt have inmind he was messing up the electrical at the same time.:notnice::notnice: oh man so mad but whatever i basically bought the car for $200and paid for the ****ty sound system $700 help me out i need to have this car smogged soon looks like i will need to pay the dmv fees for late owner transfer

I will update this thread with pics of the work that was done

• Sponsors (?)

the fan is contolled by the constant control module, passanger side strut tower, it also controls the fuel pump, ecm , air conditioning. those modules are expensive so some people bypass them ( my ford taurus is bypassed for the ac to work) as for the headlights it's possibel it has somthing to do with the daytime running light module ( if equipped it is in canada) if not you may have to do a complete re wire, makes sure it's not the bulbs first, lol!

lol the bulb is fine havent had the time to take pics yet i will try to have them posted oh and by the way i just cleaned my battery the audio wires dont seem bad one is just snapped im sure it explains why theres a kill switch in my car and it doesnt work lol but yeah if theres any more problems ill keep this post updated often thanks turbo for the input

For the headlight problem, check out the grounds. They're some greenish screws located on the radiator support, just on top of the headlamps. I had a similar problem and it was just a lose ground.

Good luck!