2.3 Exhaust Manifold Question

Mustang_Marty

Founding Member
Dec 3, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I resently purchased a 79 Mustang Coupe with the factory 2.3 carb'd turbo. I noticed that the exhaust manifold it cracked in 3 places where the crossover pipe bolts to it. Question is, are these early turbo manifolds different than a N/A one? So far I have only been able to locate 83-up manifolds, was there a change to the manifold at that time?

The ranger manifold looks like a nice upgrade, but I'm not at a point where I want to change the crossover tube to make another one fit.

Thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

Unlike the SVO's and the other 83-89 turbos (SVO,Mustang, TBird, Merkur) the 79-81 turbos have the turbo mounted on the INTAKE manifold instead of the exhaust. The manifold does look like a N/A one, but I was hoping to make sure. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

"A closed mouth collects no foot."

I figured I was getting into dangerous territory talking about the carbed turbos. :chair:

Does it have a tube going from the exhaust manifold to the other side of the engine? I once saw a Pinto engine with a blowthrough, but the whole setup was like an intercooled TC with a carb.