2.3 N/A tear down complete, Taking suggestions on what to put back in it

I tore down my spare N/A today, and it looked fairly decent inside, except for the sickly burned cam shaft. What goodies can I put in here to make it A: turbo capable, and B: Fast as ****. Not looking for anything specific, so throw out anything that might come to mind. Even the smallest thing can make a horse or two

• Sponsors (?)

well you chold have a shop drill out the block for the oil passage, and get some good forged turbo goodies to thro back in it, also you could get a volvo DOHC head and have a shop work on that to make it match up...

Mike did that but with a spair block

You could throw in turbo pistons, but they are dish and would lower you're compression. That can be solved by milling the head though (just gotta get a different head when you go turbo).
For NA performance, start working on the head. Mill it for at least 10:1 (thats what I was running on 87), cam it, port it if you can.

Okay, so, new head (turbo motor I assume) Forged Pistons (my current N/A is running those) of course have the block milled, go ahead and drill an oil line, what about the crank, will I need to upgrade that for turbo? I'm wanting a high pro motor this time, this is going in my drag car, not a streeter. Red_Lx, thanx for the input, I'll be sure to start stocking up on Green Paper. I do plan on having the head ported and polished. I'm also going to be trying for a custom intake manifold for better flow. Nitro is a possible for this motor as well. I'm very serious about this one, I intend to build up a screamer. I'm comin' for ya joe... :D

First, you need to give a rough price range that your working with.
THEN we can help point you in the correct direction.

Stay away from the volvo head. It's work.

I'm thinking along the lines of:
turbo pistons, rings, bearings.
Log header, used T3.
Tbird computer and vam.
injectors.

done.

Red_LX said:
So you're gonna be working on this car for....the next 5 years or so?

exactly :D

If this is your long term project, and your planing on making this a drag car, First you have to set a goal for how fast you want to go. If you only want to make 350hp and run in some weekend warrior bracket class, the parts you need will be different from a 500hp set up.

As much as i think they are over priced, if you are looking to get into serious power, get ahold of an esslinger catolog. Although expensive, their heads are some seriously good peices. Their tech support could set you up with a matched head, cam, and manifolds so you can get the max out of the combination.

You have to figure out how fast you want to go first of all tho. You wont need to spend $8000 if you only want to run in the 12s.

Yes, this is a bench project. It'll likely take over a year or possibly more for this thing to look even close to a car. As far as how fast I want to go, this is kind of just an "As fast as I can get it" project. I want this car to break me into the world of drag racing. I don't expect it to run 8's, but at the same time, that's what I'm aiming for. The faster, the better. I will start looking into some esslinger. Go ahead and start saving now so I can buy a head in a year or so. But I'll probably go with my Iron 8v for the first go around. Just so I don't have toooo much money in my first engine. I'm also gonna be trying to stock up as many spare blocks and such as I can. I really do plan on getting pretty serious with the drag racing thing. I just need to get one of these jobs that say they'll take me on so I can finance all this.