2.3 to 302 swap

curtisimo81

Jun 3, 2005
pensacola,fl
I'm swapping a 1990 mustang lx 2.3L to a 302 I'm having isues with the motor mounts. does anyone have any info on swapping the 2.3? I have the motor it came out of an '85 mustang. its not FI its got a 4bbl carb. I have the motor mounts and all outa the 85 with the brackets but not sure how to make them fit on the 1990. if anyone has any info on swapping the 2.3 please let me know can use all info. THis is my first conversion i've done and its alil bit more difficult than what everyone has told me.. LOL

Thanks
Curtis

• Sponsors (?)

curtisimo81 said:
I'm swapping a 1990 mustang lx 2.3L to a 302 I'm having isues with the motor mounts. does anyone have any info on swapping the 2.3? I have the motor it came out of an '85 mustang. its not FI its got a 4bbl carb. I have the motor mounts and all outa the 85 with the brackets but not sure how to make them fit on the 1990. if anyone has any info on swapping the 2.3 please let me know can use all info. THis is my first conversion i've done and its alil bit more difficult than what everyone has told me.. LOL

Thanks
Curtis

Can't see why they wouldnt't fit... can you post a pic of your issue or explain it further? The engine cradles didnt change from 79 - 95 cept a few exceptions. Your best bet is to go buy some 88 mustang convertible (5.0) mounts. Those work great and will lower the motor a bit.

Yea i can post some pics but how do you do it? i'm about to post some in my garage.. the prob i'm mainly having its the bolt holes don't line up.. and it doesnt look like i could drill them b/c the crossmember...? seems like where it bends isn't tall enough

I dont see any pic in your garage. But anyway, the 85 mounts should drop right in place of the 4 cyl mounts. No mods of any kind should be required.

FYI- there should be a spot to "manage attachments" under where you type in your text for a new post or reply. You can post a picture there but I think it need to be less than like 75k.

curtisimo81 said:
yeah it said my attachment was too large. I posted the pics in my garage but i guess they didnt work. Thanks for the info. Would i need to get the whole assembly or will they bolt up to my assembly on the crossmember?

I ran across this picture I took when I did the v8 swap on my 93 vert. This is the "convertible" style mount. They are stronger than the standard mount because the rubber part in totally enclosed in metal so it cant rip apart. You should end up with it looking like this. If you go tp the parts store and buy the standard mounts, I believe that they dont come with the plate that bolts to the motor. Just the rubber part.

Attachments

• vert_mount.jpg
    vert_mount.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 200
SPEED FREAK said:
Your best bet is to go buy some 88 mustang convertible (5.0) mounts. Those work great and will lower the motor a bit.
why is that? not denying it, just curious :shrug:

it does make sense that the vert mounts would be stronger, but lower? why 88?