2.3 Turbo engine(value??)

I happened upon a late 80's 2.3 turbo engine in a Merkur XR4Ti in a private junkyard yesterday and was just wondering what these generally go for. I was told to make an offer on the engine if I wanted it(I wouldn't mind picking it up for a project later on..rebuild it + mod it a little) and really have no idea what to offer. I can likely score the 2.3, turbo, harness, etc. etc. for pretty cheap being that I know the guy that owns the scrapyard. Anyways, it has 70K on it and has been sitting for quite some time(at the very least, 2yrs or so). It's also coupled to an automatic transmission, and I read that they had lower power output ratings with the auto. Can any of you tell me why the autos had less power specifically? Was it the ECU/tuning and possibly a combination of lower boost? Thanks for any info/advice!

• Sponsors (?)

all of the 2.3t's are the same internally, the diffrence in power was how the ECU controlled boost and its fuel maps. Swap a big vam, 35# injectors onto it, and a 87/88 TC ecu and its the same as the high HP versions. I paid 225 for my motor, i dont think i would pay any more then about 350 though and that has to include the turbo, airmeter, ECU, and wiring.

Dr.