2.3L newby questions

lamrith

Founding Member
Jun 7, 2000
Tacoma, WA
OK guys. I put a deposit on a '88 2.3L notch lastnight, I go pick it up tonight.

I have done a tiny bit of work with the 5.0l stangs, but need to know some stuff about the 2.3l so I can make sure things are good before I drive it home. I searched and could not find get a search to work and find this info..

#1 - Where is the SPOUT connector? I need to pull it and check base timing before I drive to far.

#2 - Is the 2.3L base timing the same as a 5.0l? 10*BTDC? I thought I saw that, but lost the thread.

#3 - Will driving the car home 20min with clogged CAT cause any serious damage? I test drove it a little yesterday (maybe ran 10min) and the cat was smoking sounded like burning up.. I know it is clogged good. MAyeb take the trip home in stages and let it cool off a bit each time?

• Sponsors (?)

http://www.stinger-performance.com/tech.html
TimingMarks1.jpg

I can't answer those questions, but I own two of the little buggers ('89 vert & '91 hatch). The automatic tranny is the main weak point in these cars. If you've got an auto, it WILL go bad. Roadmasters Transmission sells a reman one with two year warranty for $750, with upgraded components for about $200 more. I bought the upgraded one and had my most excellent mechanic put it in.

If you have the manual, as long as you don't beat it too bad and the car doesn't rust away under you, you could conceivably own it forever. That motor is weak, but tough.

Well I was told the trans is new, maybe a year or two old and it has sat for at least 7months.

I got the valve cover off lastnight and found the problem. #1 exh rocker was laying next to the valve spring and the cam lode is fried. I am going to try and head to pull apart today see if I can find a roller cam/followers to swap in... Sort of torn on if I should yank the head and/or engine, it is a big ball of oil and mess, might be worth pulling it to clean everything up and do a gasket rebuild....

I could be wrong of course but I'm pretty sure the cats don't smoke themselves. I think its possible the backpressure caused by a severely clogged cat can cause smoke.

Are you sure the engine is smoking because of the cat? Might be worth checking before you take it. I don't know how hard it would be but theoretically couldn't you saw the pipe and gut the cats - then clamp it together till you get home?

Edit: Nevermind, took too long to reply :p

The cat was smoking because it was superheated form being clogged and it had oil on it. I got the car home now, but had it towed.. Good thing because one of the rockers was off and laying next to the valve spring!!

I will cut the cat's out and splice in barre tube to test once I get the head isue resolved..