2.3L questions

Adam95GT

Aug 14, 2006
Burlington, NJ
Because the 2.3 has more Displacement then people in the 2.3 fourms id figure id post it here

Im going to be buying a 92 mustang lx for my g/f with a 2.3l engine in it and the guy that im buying it from says it has a small lag when the automatic tranmission shifts... and he said he took it to a shop and they said its caused by a selnoid for the transmission??? Has anyone ever heard of anything like this??? I just want to make sure everything checks out b4 i buy it...

• Sponsors (?)

Take it to a tranny shop. They'll be able to tell you. I think that tranny is the same one they put in the Aerostar minivan. They have a problem with electronics, IIRC. Good luck!

BTW-I was hoping that you had bought an old Turbo Coupe or Merkur. ;)

thats a fairly common problem on the older ford trannies with vacuum modulators.They are cheap just get one from the auto parts store and it should cure the problem .I had changed a couple of them over the years for some friends with Ford minivans and trucks with the transmissions that used the vacuum modulator for shifting the transmission.

Where is that vacuum modulator mounted?? I have a friend with a 92 lx vert with a 2.3L, and she has the same problem. The tranny lags when you shift from park to any gear or from drive to revis. Maybee this could be the problem???

+1 on the vacuum modulator - fordtech28 is right on.

On my C4 there is an adjustment on it sort of like a screw that can be turned to control the shifting. It is in the nipple where the vacuum line goes. Did this carry through to the newer transmissions?

Those 2.3l cars are beasts. My buddy bought one a while back that had 300k on the body and an engine and tranny (5spd) rebuild around 150k. It had sat in weeds for 6yrs. I think he got it for $150. Anyways, it needed a LOT of work - he dropped it off at my house and we replaced the parts that were obviously bad after sitting so long. (battery, gas tank/fuel pump, tuneup etc)

Now 6 years later it's still ugly as sin, has holes in the floorboard and still running.

Wes

This has a few dents and this problem with the trans but other then that its a strait car... teal with a sun roof...
010100010206010402200706016e9ad515bf9005da9c00210d.jpg

010108010200010302200706019fe6418218737d8621006d37.jpg

That doesn't look to bad at all. We used to have a 93 just like that in red, it was a nice car but pretty much gutless, it was real good on gas though. When we had to pass people on the highway we used have to turn the turbo on (shut A/C off) to semi safely make the pass:D

Picked her up today... changed the vacuum modulator... it didnt fix the problem... it still shifts odd... so i called my friend who works at a junk yard... and he said $120 for a trans... so i talked the guy down to $850 i claybared it and cleaned it up... found a few new friends... a frog and a mouse who had made his home in the hood... car runs nice though and paint came up well... does anyone know what could cause this problem... its only from first to second... it seems like the car starts in 2nd gear... then when it wants to shift... drops to first then back up to second or something... i cant really tell what it is doing... but when i shift it from 1 to 2 to d to OD by hand there is no problem ill post pics tonight

i guess i did good considering that the asking price was $1500