2.3T most popular swap?

egnorant

Founding Member
Jul 16, 2002
Deep East Texas
I was looking at my latest copy of Grassroots Motorsports and they had an article about a low buck racer challenge. The bizzare swaps and the engineering is amazing. First place was a V8 Ford powered RX-7 and second was a 2.3Turbo MG Midget. Further looking revealed no less than 7 other cars with 2.3T in them.
Has the 2.3 Turbo swap become the latest trick for the rest of the world and not just we few who are convinced?
Bruce

• Sponsors (?)

A couple of buddies and I are sorta looking for a project car for GRM '06, and it'll be 2.3T powered for sure. I think enough people have done it that it's being considered a viable powerplant now.

Brian

I think the 2.3T is popular with the GRM people because they're held to such a tight budget in $2005 challenge (or $2004, $2006, etc). If you think about it, the 2.3T is one of the only turboed four-cylinder engines out there that was originally put in a RWD and is pretty cheap & plentiful. You can also make 200+ hp with a 2.3T for just a couple bucks, and they're very durable engines.

However it does seem to me like 302 & 350 swaps are just as popular for the GRM challenge.

Oh and yeah I know about the crazy engineering. My brother got the issue of that with the $2004 challenge and there was a guy that entered a CRX in that with corvette suspension under it, and a 350 under the hood. crazy.

There are probably at least 10 times as many 2.3T powered vehicles than you think...GRM just opens your eyes to the beginning of them...

For example, I personally know of 3 different early 30's Ford's with 2.3T's in them...I'm sure there are way more than I know of...

Fun swaps

Around here I have a rep as the guy who can figure anything out and find the parts cheap. I have helped put 2.3Ts in 2 Rangers, an Austin Healey and a 1960 Falcon. I have ridden in a Cobra kit car with a 2.3T and a Mercedes kit with one also. I am currently in negotiation for a Cobra kit car for this swap myself...but I found a GT40 unfinished kit that is looking real appealing. Local guy builds 3 wheelers out of odd stuff and is about convinced that a 2.3T with an auto would be great for his GF. Versitile little engines!
Bruce