2 inch straight through muffler hurt performance???

ok i posted earlier about some mufflers im buying. they are called dynomax turbo tubes... well the mufflers are 2 inch in and out. my exhaust system is 2 1/2 inch....will this hurt my performance? they are straight through mufflers. could the muffler shop stretch the opening to open it up??

here is a pic.

turbo tubes.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

i dont think they will hurt performance. They are deep during idel and VERY loud under throttle. The muffler shop can expand the openings some.

It'll choke down in that one spot yet, and will restrict flow probably as bad if not worse than a stock exhaust. Also, those are going t sound like ass.....they're basically cherry bombs.

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
It'll choke down in that one spot yet, and will restrict flow probably as bad if not worse than a stock exhaust. Also, those are going t sound like ass.....they're basically cherry bombs.

So magnapacks sounds like ass too right, and all other straight through mufflers? :notnice:

I had 18" cherry bombs on a stock exhaust for a while, and it sounded awesome (did not crackle). If the exhaust hadn't been such a POS, i would have kept them.

Mavrick said:
So magnapacks sounds like ass too right, and all other straight through mufflers? :notnice:

I had 18" cherry bombs on a stock exhaust for a while, and it sounded awesome (did not crackle). If the exhaust hadn't been such a POS, i would have kept them.

Well i suppose my answer was a bit opinionated, but yea i think they sound like ass because they're a resonator and not a muffler, and although they all sound a little different, just like mufflers do, i don't like the overall resonator sound, so yea i think they sound like ass. :D

It's the 2" size through that thing that's the problem; stretching up inlet/outlet to match won't solve the problem. You need to match the rest of your system size with the inlets/outlets of the muffler.

The sound quality is subjective - one person's "ass" is another person's "sick". And not all straight through muffler's sound the same. THe type of packing inside, the size, type (holes vs. louvers), and location of the perforations, how the ends are configured and where in the sytem it's placed can all impact sound quality and volume.

Mavrick said:

Well im sure your mufflers arent the size of a golf ball are they??

I agree that theyll sound like ass. It will deffinately sound like an old chevy pickup... My friend has magnapacks on his 03 (dont quote me but i think theyre 3 inches in/out and 4 inch diameter round) and i have 3 inch race bullets and they just sound all out mean!!

When i had 2.5 inch bullets, i didnt really like the sound that much, which is why i got rid of them... then something urged me to try the 3 inch bullets since theyre soo cheap and i wouldnt have to pay for installation... Man ill tell you that extra half inch made the world of a difference.. the car sounds sooooo mean! I couldnt imagine how a small 2 inch muffler would sound, and i dont want to know

You guys have to remember that even the stock exhaust was 1/4 inch bigger than those things. And yes, 1/4 inch is very significant when you're talking about exhaust flow. Just think of how much of a difference it makes to put aftermarket 2-1/2 inch exhaust on after the stock 2-1/4....that 1/4 inch is important, and you'd be throwing away twice that much.

"sounded like a wood truck"

Quote of the day right there!

I used to have a 55 Chevy and we built the old stovebolt six instead of dropping a small block in - as everyone was doing.

60 over TRW 9.5:1 pistons, polished/chamferred stock crank, reconditioned rods, TRW bearings, balanced, mildly ported head with slightly bigger TRW valves, Offenhauser 2X1BBL intake, Clifford Research headers and duals (no h-pipe back then), Sig Erson mild cam. Sweet, sweet motor. But with the duals and Thrush glasspacks (how old am I?) everyone said it sounded just like the GMC school bus we used to ride. Because it had the same ENGINE as the old GMC school bus. Wood truck. Bus. I can relate.

Michael Yount said:
If I've done my measurements correctly, I believe that used stock mufflers off of a C5 Corvette are going on the back of mine. We'll see how that quiets it down.

On the Volvo? You should post a video of your car someday if you've got one. I've still got all the pics you emailed me, i was actually looked them over the other day. Do you drive that thing daily or is it just a toy?

124K miles - almost 40k since the engine conversion 8 years ago. It's my only car - if I can't use my wife's, it's what I drive. Obviously, I keep it out of the snow, and the rain when I can - but it gets driven just about every day. Just got back from a take-out run in fact. And on some long trips too - does great with the cruise on out on the super slab.

I have a big, heat shielded area between the bumper and the fuel tank where the stock transverse mounted muffler goes. I believe if we take the factory ells/tips off the Vette mufflers, and tighten the radius on the ells up a bit to move them closer together, it will work. 4 2.25" pipes all right together in the middle of the back - right under the rear bumper centered under the license plate. It has a single 3.5" exit centered there now. I'd post a pic - but I guess you have to pay to have Stangnet host them.