2 questions (Fuel & Air Filter)

05BlackV6

Aug 25, 2005
Earth
Question 1:

I was just curious what grade fuel you fill your car with. Someone suggested filling with super for better performance. Anyone here agree and think it's worth it? ( The Stang ISN'T my daily driver. )

Question 2:

That same person suggested getting a K&N air filter to increase performance and so you can just clean it and not replace it. Anyone use these filters? Worth it? (Hell they must be. Vipers use them alot!!!!)

Thanks all

• Sponsors (?)

I have a K&N and yes its worth it, because its only like 3 times more than regular filter, and u dont have to replace/clean it as often.

Fuel, they did a test on a GT a while ago, filling it with 91 without tuning it for it, gained like 2.4hp and no real gas mileage increase. So its not really worth it unless you get a tuner and do it. I have the tuner with 91 octane and its night and day.

The high octane will only give you a performance increase when your in the high RPM range. In the low RPM range it does the same as regual. So unless your racing it, with the gas prices now... i wouldnt put the high octane in.

If you filled with 91 or 93 octane without tuning for it, you might even end up with late combustion (in the compression cycle). I'd reccommend against it, but I'm not a mechanic :p

^^^ What they said. Unless your car's tune is set up with more timing you don't need higher octane gasoline. At best you're just wasting money and at worst you're getting late detonation (as mentioned above). Higher octane fuel is not more powerful. That's a common misconception.

If you're hearing pinging or knocking when running on 87 then I'd recommend going to the mid-grade gasoline. Otherwise, just pump what the manual recommends.

fazm83 said:
I have a K&N and yes its worth it, because its only like 3 times more than regular filter, and u dont have to replace/clean it as often.
the motorcraft air filter from ford lists around $50, so a K&N is actually cheaper......

Fourth Horseman said:
^^^ What they said. Unless your car's tune is set up with more timing you don't need higher octane gasoline. At best you're just wasting money and at worst you're getting late detonation (as mentioned above). Higher octane fuel is not more powerful. That's a common misconception.

If you're hearing pinging or knocking when running on 87 then I'd recommend going to the mid-grade gasoline. Otherwise, just pump what the manual recommends.
:stupid: