2 questions

big_stu

Jan 27, 2004
Hi. I'm doing an engine swap in my '89 Mustang. I've just about finishing building the 5.0 for it, but i'm wondering about which heads to put on. Right now I have a set of E6SE's which i'd rather not use. I was looking at a set of E7TE's. What would be a good set of heads for the motor? Its going to be carb'd.

The other question I have is I know I can't use the T-5 off the 2.3l, but can I rebuild it to handle the 5.0? Thanks

Stu

• Sponsors (?)

Are you looking to retain stock heads? If so then you can not go wrong with 351w C9OE or D0OE heads, GT-40p with the correct headers, or good ported E7's. It all depends on your budget. For my money the best bang for the buck on on otherwise stock 5.0 is the World Products Windsor Jr. (Roush 180) head.

Tell us more about what you want to do with the car and the answer could be more specific.

The 4 cyl T-5 CAN be rebuilt to handle V-8 power, but the time and money it takes to do it - you could practically buy a new Z spec T-5 from Ford or Summit. Buy a good used V8 T-5 from the classifides.

N

Thanks for the quick response! The car is pretty much going to be a play car and something to take to work every once in a while. I have a company truck to drive the rest of the time. And will be used on the weekends to go to the drag strip.

I'd like to get a good set heads for a good price. Up here in Nova Scotia, I can get a set of Edelbrock Performer Heads(complete) for $1800, the Roush 180's are around $1000 a set or a used set of E7TE's for $200 and get a valve job done. The edelbrocks and roush heads would be nice, but its a little too much money. Where would I find the GT-40P heads? I've got some connections with quite a few junkyards and can find just about anything.

Thanks
Stu

Look on ebay for the gt40p's. They sell for 150 for a pair of bare castings and then you can have your machine shop order you some good springs and valves and voila. Or You can get them for 350 fullly assembled like i did. The springs arent the greatest in the world. Just keep an eye out.

big_stu said:
The other question I have is I know I can't use the T-5 off the 2.3l, but can I rebuild it to handle the 5.0? Thanks

Stu
The only similarities between the T-5 used in the 4-cyl and the T-5 used in the V-8 is the case. Everything else will have to be changed out. As was stated above, you'd be better off buying a new one or finding an actual V-8 used T-5 at a wrecker.

Thanks a lot! This is helping out big time! I'll start looking around for a new tranny. I don't want to spend the time and money rebuilding if I can get new/used cheaper. I'll give ebay a try right now and see what I find for heads. Thanks again!

Stu