20" rim probs on an 01 cobra?

66fstbk

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2002
Danville,CA.
does anyone know if 20" rims on an 01 cobrawill cause any problems? will it affect the steering? acceleration? anything at all negatively? i have seen gt's with 20's but not any cobras. i think the 18" cobra chrome rims look great but am curious if the 20's will have any negative effects.

any info would be great. thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

66fstbk said:
does anyone know if 20" rims on an 01 cobrawill cause any problems? will it affect the steering? acceleration? anything at all negatively? i have seen gt's with 20's but not any cobras. i think the 18" cobra chrome rims look great but am curious if the 20's will have any negative effects.

any info would be great. thanks.

Please, do not put 20s on a Cobra. Besides the spinfest and the extra weight, they will rub on every turn. On top of that you will have to worry about tire width. The rear IRS bolt usually rubs tire, but in your case......it may rub rim. I run a 275 on stock 01 rims and come about an inch away from the bolt.

Never seen a Cobra with 20s and hopefully never will.

Matt

thanks. thats all i needed to hear. i figured that they would suck on a cobra. so would 18's be ok or stick with 17's? and what would be the best width? 8 or 9 or 9.5? what about backspacing?

the reson i ask is because i do like the chrome cobra rims that everyone has but thats just it, everyone has them it seems. the cobra or cobra r or saleen rims. i want to try and find something slightly different and was wondering what the b/s should be etc. hell if anything ill just stick some chrome cobra rims on there. it currently has bbs wheels but i think they are ugly as hell.

any info again would be great.

thanks.

I'd say to go with at least a 9" rim. There's a good reason why everyone has the Rs. It's because they look great on our cars. But there are a variety of choices for you......but be careful about the backspacing on some of these wheels though. Chrome will probably look nice, but along with that comes weight, so I opted for the aluminum wheels. It's all up to you, but please don't put 20s on your snake. I wouldn't go any bigger than 18s. Ray

20's will fit on a Cobra. I saw quite a few Mustangs this summer with them. Maroon Saleen conv with 20 inch gold wires and a GT conv with 20's. They look stupidi n my opinion, but it is all in what your taste is bcaue it is your car. I would not spend the money on them, you could havea supercharger for as much as some of them cost. I would think they may rub in turns but who knows for sure?

i know they will fit a gt because i have seen a few gt's with 20's and i like the look of them but would not at all want to put them on the cobra if they compromise anything about the car. performance wise or safety wise. i know some people hate them and some like them, i like them- but the cobra is about performance first, looks second. so 18's it will be. or 17's. but shoudl 9" wide rims be used up front as well? so 18x9's all around or should i put 8's up front?

maybe i can squeeze some 20's on the fastback. lol.

9" wheels on the front will be fine. I have 18x9.5" all around with 275/35/zr18 tires with no rubbing issues whatsoever. If I were you, I would get the same size wheels all around so you can rotate your tires and save some wear and treadlife of your tires, which will be expensive since you are thinking of stepping up from 17s.

I have 19x9" wheels all the way around on my cobra. Doesn't add any more weight than the stock wheels, and doesn't ever rub. Plus, it handles like a mofo. Its not really the size of the wheel that makes it bad, its the wrong kind of wheel for your car. You probably don't want to put full chrome wheels or spinners on something on a straight up performance car like a cobra, in my opinoin... Vice versa, I don't think racing wheels would look good on a big-body 4-door benz...