20 RWHP or BS?

afast93stang

Founding Member
Jan 6, 2002
North Texas
I was at Oreillys the other day geting oil for the stang, the guy behind the counter starts askin me about my car so we go outside and I pop the hood, he then tells me that I can get 20 RWHP if I disconnect the coolant lines going to the TB spacer. Ive had my stang for 3 years now and I have never heard of getting 20RWH by doing this.

If I do disconnect it, would it make that much of a difference?

My :bs: alarm was going off the whole time he was talking, he was telling me alot of other things and it sounded like he was using ricer math.

• Sponsors (?)

afast93stang said:
I was at Oreillys the other day geting oil for the stang, the guy behind the counter starts askin me about my car so we go outside and I pop the hood, he then tells me that I can get 20 RWHP if I disconnect the coolant lines going to the TB spacer. Ive had my stang for 3 years now and I have never heard of getting 20RWH by doing this.

If I do disconnect it, would it make that much of a difference?

My :bs: alarm was going off the whole time he was talking, he was telling me alot of other things and it sounded like he was using ricer math.

:bs: I did not notice anyting when I did mine. It does clean up the engine bay a bit but thats about all.

I agree and disagree with the other posts.

No way will you gain 20RWHP from this, none at all really. The coolant lines were put there for reasons:

To cool the EGR gasses. It is not the best design, there is alot of metal between where the gasses are and the coolant is located. Air might heat up a little but the EGR is shut off in periods of low throttle such as WOT. So, EGR gas tempratures are not an issue.

To pevent ice from building up in intake. If there was cold moist air, it decompresses in the intake so it looses temprature, a little frost might build up. This is rare, I've never heard of it causing problems. Mainly what the coolant does is heat the intake, which is not good for HP.

The coolant lines were put on the act as a thermactor, like the old carbed cars with the air duct comming off the exaust manifold, which helps on cold starts. I do not see how the coolant will help when it is cold anyways.

By bypassing/blocking the coolant lines to the TB, the intake will stay much cooler, kind of like putting a bag of ice on the intake between runs. I noticed a slight difference in response, the intake is cool to the touch after being run for a while.

90mustangGT... right on!! there IS an increse there!! I doubt 20 RWHP !! but maybe 5-10 at the flywheel !! Got to remember that the cars are "SMOG", yeah the word hurts... but they are a hot , lean running engine for the tailpipe emissions!! Colder IS better for power the denser the fuel the more power... Ie: "cool cans", blocking off the manifold cross over, "icing " the intake between rounds , or pulling the hot water hoses away from all fuel lines , or disconecting the coolant lines at the T/B !! All that IS power... How much?? and what will the computer do?? and will it drive ok?? Decisions.. decisions...!! But there is a lot of total power made IF you do a bunch of Little things...cool??

20 RWHP.... Naw!! but an increase?? hell yeah!!

Just me...............................

Thumper

I have also seen down sides to this.. While still having the EGR gasses pass thru and not the spacer not cooling some have seen TB blade warpage from this... I think if you want to yank the lines yank the EGR also...

Thanks Black331 and Thumper :cheers:

No, definatly not a 20RWHP difference, maby one or two but when you are in a race where your neck and neck as though your parked next to each other, that is when those little things come into play.

Many things on our cars is just an example of the cruel joke of 1980's emmisions technology. It was ment to kill hydrocarbons and carbonmonoxide, but it did a much better job at killing horses.

I don't buy the increase theory. I have my reasons and i'm not gonna get into a pointless debate. But i don't think removing those lines will get you anything.

WHen i swapped to a cobra intake, those lines were eliminated on their own. The intake still gets just as hot as my stocker.

Mustang5L5 said:
I don't buy the increase theory. I have my reasons and i'm not gonna get into a pointless debate. But i don't think removing those lines will get you anything.

WHen i swapped to a cobra intake, those lines were eliminated on their own. The intake still gets just as hot as my stocker.

Well that should tell you something, because the Cobra intake came out in '93 and didn't have those lines for a reason. Unless maby the Cobra runs the coolant internally??? Why does yours get just as hot, when I did this to my stocker, I could notice a big temp difference, it was just warm to the touch while with the lines you could just touch it for a second. How is your intake getting THAT hot otherwise.

It's not really a debate. Maby it does, maby it doesn't, maby it worked for me but didn't work for others. :shrug:

No one is going to argue that cooler air = dencer air = more power.

You can try it and if you don't like it, swich back, it's not like it's anything permenent.

The '93 Cobra intake doesn't use them at all. Externally or internally.

The reasons for this are pretty much only known to the ford engineers. If i had time i'd call em up and see what i could find out but i'm too busy.

I like to think the purpose of them was more or less for Icing reasons.

The only real way to test it is to stuff a temp probe down the intake tube and measure the air temp. I actually do have the equipment to do this, however my intake does not have the provision for the coolant lines anymore (cobra intake).

If i had a stock intake i would do some measurements and see if the lines really do make a difference. It's the only real way to settle this.

But i for one am on the "leave them connected" bandwagon

Interesting timing for this.

A month back I replaced my intake and T.B. I also did many clean up things, and one of them was blocking the coolant. I did for a cleaner look, and I like it:

engine_after_l.jpg

I don't think it added any horsepower, however...

My intake does stay cooler to the touch, even after driving around. And I don't have to worry about leaks anymore or corrosion inside the EGR.

I did not, however, block the EGR cross-overs at the heads. I kinda wish I would have put the blocks in, but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything.

If the intake is staying cooler, then you are getting a dense charge into the engine, but the difference probably isn't very much.

It would help most at the track, where you can actually ice down the intake, and when you start your engine, you're not imediatly pumping hot fluid back into your nice and cool intake.

:)