20*??? too much

Turpin5.0

Jul 25, 2004
I just got my new timing pointer today and installed it. When I went to check my timing it was at 8*. I moved it up to 12, ran it then 14, no knock so I ran it, and then 16,18,and 20. All with a bit increase in power. But I never got to where it started to knock at all. I only use 93 oct. Is this very weird to you guys? I have been told that after 14 a mustang will start to knock. Is there a point of to much advancement to where it would hurt the performance, would there? I never took it past 20, but tommorow I might try to bump it up to where it knocks... Any thought would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

with the timing that high it might not knock at idle, but it might at a higher RPM when the computer advances the timing even more. after putting in my new distributor it was a tooth off so the timing was at like 20 something degrees even though the balancer read 14* and idled and revved fine but when i drove it it detonated badly above 2500. but anyway as long as there is no pinging or detonation you should be fine. 20* does sound like an awful lot though.

are you sure your new pointer has the same exact orientation as the old one did? if this is a new revelation, i might wonder if the point of reference is simply skewed.

good luck.