2000-2002 GT advice

Notchbck93

Dec 9, 2003
IL
Ok, I get stuck sitting in lots of traffic lately and plus I wouldn't mind having something my future wife can drive. I have my 93 coupe for a stick car that I play on the weekends with, but the traffic can get down right rediculous in my area during the work week. So:

are there any issues I need to be aware of for a 00-02 used stang auto??

What are real world people averaging for mpg?

I also live in the snow belt, So I assume a good winter tire package would be needed.

Thanks again for anyone who helps a fellow stanger.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!! :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Notchbck93 said:
Ok, I get stuck sitting in lots of traffic lately and plus I wouldn't mind having something my future wife can drive. I have my 93 coupe for a stick car that I play on the weekends with, but the traffic can get down right rediculous in my area during the work week. So:

are there any issues I need to be aware of for a 00-02 used stang auto??

What are real world people averaging for mpg?

I also live in the snow belt, So I assume a good winter tire package would be needed.

Thanks again for anyone who helps a fellow stanger.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!! :flag:

the 4R70W is a strong transmission. nothing to worry about unless it hasn't been maintanedor has been severly abused. i was getting about 22-23mpg half city/half highway before the supercharger.

as for the snow, get some V6 tires and all season or snow tires.

That's good to hear.

Are there any issues with the plastic intake manifolds. I know that CV's had some real problems with them for a while, but I have been out of the Modular loop for a while. Just trying to get up-to-date.

car will suck on the snow but that is a given.

I have about 55k on the clock with no issues on the intake.

I don't own an auto but test drove one. depending on what you like out of you car you may consider some upgrades there. could just be I am used to more displacement but the stock auto felt like it could use some upgrading.

fuel economy will be good as all new auto use lock up converters. should be alomost identical to a 5speed.

I am not the biggest fan of auto's, but sitting in two hour traffic can wear on the ol knee, especially when it is already messed up from a previous accident.

A built auto in a 10 second ride is a deff plus-- leave the banger at home.

Mines a 99 and it has been great.I would get a beater for the winter though.Mine isnt too bad in the snow when you are level but going up and down giant curvey hills (like where I live) can be interesting.

MikeZ28 said:
if you buy a auto get 4.10's and a converter if you want too go fast

remember in a auto a converter = :hail2: greatest mod ever

PI converters are very good i would get atleast a 2800

I'm not trying to be bitchy, but unless he's going to be taking it to the track or wants to run drag radials constantly, buying a torque converter is a waste of about $700. I saw much more of an improvement with my gears and a good tune, both around town and at the track. After we installed my torque converter, my ET only improved 2 tenths and I can't get on it around town anymore with my street tires. Let's also not forget that with gears, t/c and a tune his gas mileage around town will be shot to hell and back.

Stangers:

I appreciate all of your help that you have provided thus far, but I already do have a weekend ride, so ya this would be a daily cruiser.

It is a hard toss up because we can get some nasty snow fall in the Chitown area, so not sure if grabbing a Gt would be the wisest choice. I just figured I would throw it out to some guys who drive theirs, possibly everyday in four season states, and get some real feedback.

Maybe at some point I can move south where I won't have to worry about snow.