2000 GT problem

pea_jay

Oct 8, 2009
Well i recently bought a 2000 GT vert off a buddy of mine that did not take care of it at all. I replaced all the brakes and rotors, along with a rear caliper that seized. Now there is a loud roaring/howling sound coming from the front end that is about as loud as my exhaust. When making a left turn however, it mostly goes away. Some mechanincs i have talked to said that it sounds like a passenger wheel bearing. Would i be safe to assume that is correct?

• Sponsors (?)

Well i recently bought a 2000 GT vert off a buddy of mine that did not take care of it at all. I replaced all the brakes and rotors, along with a rear caliper that seized. Now there is a loud roaring/howling sound coming from the front end that is about as loud as my exhaust. When making a left turn however, it mostly goes away. Some mechanincs i have talked to said that it sounds like a passenger wheel bearing. Would i be safe to assume that is correct?

Sounds like a wheel bearing for sure. Keep in mind that there are actually four (4) bearings in the front wheels, two on each side. When turning right or left, different bearings take the loads. For instance, when you turn right, the passenger-side spindle is trying to pull through the hub, loading the outer race. On the driver's side, the weight of the car is pushing the spindle through the hub, loading the inner race. The loading reverses when you turn left. When you turn left, you unload the inner race on the driver's side and the outer race on the passenger side. Since the noise goes away when one of those two are unloaded, it's safe to assume that one of the two bearings is making the noise.

You might be able to localize to one side of the car or the other but it can be tricky. You need to try that and follow up by getting the front wheels off the ground and checking the bearings by hand/ear/feel.