$2000! & I want to upgrade my brakes,

• Sponsors (?)

don't waste your money on the brembo kit unless you're going to be road racing. The cobra or bullitt brakes are fine for most people. You're really not going to notice a big difference between the cobra brakes and the brembos unless you repeatedly slam down on the brakes time after time. The cobras will fade quicker than the brembos will.

There are a couple of places like www.diskbrakesrus.com that sell kits. You can get the full front swap kit for like $300 :nice:

Don't even bother with the back brakes. They barely do anything to begin with.

As for the remaining $1700, you could get king cobra clutch, 4.10's, tri-ax, a set of tokico illuminas, and the Dragon intake plenum with 75mm TB.

That's what I would do if I was in your shoes.

FastRedPonyCar said:
don't waste your money on the brembo kit unless you're going to be road racing. The cobra or bullitt brakes are fine for most people. You're really not going to notice a big difference between the cobra brakes and the brembos unless you repeatedly slam down on the brakes time after time. The cobras will fade quicker than the brembos will.

There are a couple of places like www.diskbrakesrus.com that sell kits. You can get the full front swap kit for like $300 :nice:

Don't even bother with the back brakes. They barely do anything to begin with.

As for the remaining $1700, you could get king cobra clutch, 4.10's, tri-ax, a set of tokico illuminas, and the Dragon intake plenum with 75mm TB.

That's what I would do if I was in your shoes.

i agree. unless your gt sees regular road track time, youre not gonna notiice a big difference. however, in terms of spending the remaining money i would buy:

gears-4.10 or 3.73 depending on future plans
King Cobra Clutch
tri-ax
dragon plenum
c&l maf
timing adjuster

Well what I'm looking @ right now is a set of 3.90 Pro 5.0 Gears for $180, Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter for $162, & a SPEC II clutch for $300, all off Stangnet.com. I'm still looking at the brakes & I have to leave some $$ for labor since I can do some stuff myself. But as I'm not gonna bust my own rear-end open or replace my clutch, I may as well have whomever does those do the brakes & shifter as well. I'll let yall know exactly as I order as I will order today & I'll come back here before I order.

For a grand total including shipping of $1767.95 I ordered Pro 5.0 3.90 Gears, Steeda Tri-Ax Short-Throw Shifter, Ford Racing SPEC II Clutch from Stangnet.com & Saleen Brakes 13" Cross-Drilled & Slotted Front Rotors with white powder-coated calipers & silver powder-coated rotors with Steel-braided brake lines & some brake pads & same for the back except 10.5".

I would not spend the money on brakes yet. the brakes on our cars are pretty good. they may not look flashy or have huge rotors but In a single stop situation they are fine. go find some road test and look at the 60-0 times. I think a gt is around 135ft wich is very similar to the cobra. now if you did 10 consecutive stops the cobra would do better but I never have to do that. my vote would be gears, cams(comp 270 or vt mild n/a), plenum, sct tuning software. this should give you full control over the car and give you 30hp. with more power and the lower gears would be night and day. save the brake upgrade for later. if you are dead set on brakes look at baer.com also.

downsouthman1 said:
For a grand total including shipping of $1767.95 I ordered Pro 5.0 3.90 Gears, Steeda Tri-Ax Short-Throw Shifter, Ford Racing SPEC II Clutch from Stangnet.com & Saleen Brakes 13" Cross-Drilled & Slotted Front Rotors with white powder-coated calipers & silver powder-coated rotors with Steel-braided brake lines & some brake pads & same for the back except 10.5".

I would really look at that brake purchase. I only say it because I have looked into it as well. when I looked at road tests the best 60-0 I found between saleen, roush, corbra, bullit was the bullit at 127ft. granted differnt drivers. Maybe I just did not find the right data. everything else should be a good investement. if you are doing it more for looks then that is cool.

I am not so much getting it for performance, but my brakes are shot & I need new ones anyway. Since I need new brakes I may as well upgrade. Here are the scales. $300 to replace pads, turn rotors, replace rotors that are possibly warped, & not increase braking performance at all. Or $1091 to replace pads, upgrade to better-cooling rotors, upgrade calipers, upgrade to steel-braided brake lines, & somewhat improve braking performance. You decide.

hognutz said:
I would really look at that brake purchase. I only say it because I have looked into it as well. when I looked at road tests the best 60-0 I found between saleen, roush, corbra, bullit was the bullit at 127ft. granted differnt drivers. Maybe I just did not find the right data. everything else should be a good investement. if you are doing it more for looks then that is cool.
Remember also that since the Roush, Bullit, Cobra, & Saleen have similar braking systems the biggest thing in the Bullit's favor is lack of weight. A car that weighs less will always slow down quicker w/ the same brakes.

I guess the point I was trying to make was the 60-0 on the cobra and saleen were not really better than the gt. As long as you are happy with the purchase I say great. I have not seen 100-0 data. I would asume repeatablity would be better with the upgrade do to the rotors. I understand what you are saying but I do my own brake works so for me it is like $150 vs 1k. I need rationlize why I spent the extra $850. I was all set to do this when I put on my h&r's, and bilsteins this month. I am just going to do a brake job and paint my calipurs.