2000 mustang gear shifting auto v6

wolf39us

Feb 15, 2008
I'll bet you guys love my questions!!

anyways!

my new question is with my new car ...the 2000 ford mustang convertible v6

whenever the car shifts from gear 1 to gear 2 ONLY...it will jerk very harshly...I've tried everything to keep the car from jerking....backing off the gas...even punching the gas!

it is a very harsh gear change...like being in a manual car with someone who doesn't know how to drive stick...lol kinda like that

also, if you punch the gas....it will accelerate nicely...up until the gear 1 to 2 change....the tires will literally stop spinning for a second...(or maybe they are spinning too fast suddenly...I can't tell)... and then it will be fine all the way up from 2 to OD

what could be the issue?

• Sponsors (?)

It sounds like you've got an issue with one of the valves in the tranny. The valves that control the shifts are controlled by computer, since you can adjust the quality of the shift with an aftermarket tuner. Hard shifts are desireable for drag racing, but for street use on the factory computer, something's wrong.

Do you have any CEL codes posted? I think the tranny can post codes to the CEL if the computer detects a problem.

If there is no code posted, try getting the tranny flushed by a tranny shop. If that doesn't work, it looks like you'll have to have it opened up and fixed by a shop!

2000 auto v6 -- Mine also has this problem. I was convinced that someone adjusted my shift point for my 1->2 gear shift. Mine will shift at 1000rpm at normal acceleration, and only 1200rpm if I punch it.... and what ive noticed- the first 2 or first 3 shifts after starting my car, are alot smoother... like if the trans isnt warmed up, it shifts smooth.... is this like yours?

I beleive a harsh shift is typically a broken or weak spring in the valve body. I could be wrong though as it's been some time since i've studied the automatics from Ford. I'm more of a manual trans guy