2000 Mustang GT

• Sponsors (?)

ok i have a 2000 mustang gt with 107k. I have Dual flomasters with 3inch tips, other than that stock. What would you guys recomend performance wise. I was thiking tuner, gears, also what kind of gears?

As a 2000 GT owner with the same exhaust as you, I concentrated first on the suspension (springs, struts, sway bars, subframe connectors, caster/camber kit, strut bar) as I autocross the car. After that I did the normal bolt ons: plenum, throttle body, under drive pullies (Steeda), cold air intake, new coil overs and plugs. I also installed a short throw shifter. I then changed the rear end gears and upgraded the traction lok with carbon discs. I installed 3:73's because of autocrossing and I will tell you that the gear change was the biggest bang for the buck with respect to performance enhancement. There are a number of discussions about gears with much debate over 3:73 vs 4:10. Both will work fine but I felt that the 3:73 gears was the best choice for me. Manual vs auto tranny will add into the gear equation as well.

I also purchased a tuner which made a difference as well in performance, especially with the mods. The tuner will also recalibrate your speedometer. Purchase a tuner that will provide a lifetime of tunes as you will no doubt make changes over a period of time and you can always get a retune as you make changes. After second lapping event at the track I burnt up the brakes completely. I upgraded the front brakes which might not add to your street performance, but will make you stop much better. My next purchase will be headers and upgraded exhaust to make the engine breath better. I will definately keep the flowmasters as they sound awesome.

After all the bolt ons, you really have to get into the engine with head work or look at adding a turbo or supercharger. Good luck and enjoy your stang.

Yes get the bama tuner or equivalent for sure with lifetime tunes just for future upgrades but honestly lt headers are a pain in the ass for the gains you get, if your really looking for performance save up for something big, like cams, you can spend thousands of dollars on boltons and see very minial gains

Definetely gears, see my sig. Get rid of that crappy stock shifter, too. These 2 Mods should not cost you more than$700 installed. This is just a start, wait until you are infected with Mod Fever, you'll know it when it strikes! lol!

Pick your shifter wisely tho if you have a heavy hand like myself, I went with the all aluminum tri-ax shifter from Steeda and managed to snap off the handle after 3k miles and a few passes on the track, altho that may be me just shifting obnoxiously hard lol :doh:

What's your budget and goal for the car?
Tuner is helpful with more than just performance - it is a great maintenance tool as well.
Gears wake up any 4.6L but which gear depends on your goal/intended use and transmission.

There are a number of spring/strut/shock combos out there. I chose H & R Super Sport variable rate springs. Dropped the car about 1.5" and the stance is great without scraping, except high speed bumps if I go too quick. The variable rate springs provide a nice ride on the street and stiffen up on the track. I combined the springs with Tokico HP series struts and shocks and a set of Maximum motorsports camber/castor plates which you will need for the lowered car. I've had no problem with tire wear, bumpsteer or a number of other things that can happen when lowering your stang. I had a driving instructor at our road course take the car out with the above mods before the sway bars and subframe connectors were added and he said that he was impressed with the handling. Also, don't forget to pay a little extra and replace your worn out rubber spring isolators with a new set of polyurethane ones. Again, the combo worked for me but there are a number of others, depending on what you want to spend. FYI, the above items are all on sale this month at American Muscle. Check it out.

As with any gears you will lose some mpg, altho that being said I used to have a 98 gt with a PI head swap and a few other misc boltons that was running 410s in a 5speed manual and still managed to get 23 mpg on the highway. Wether that was just ones of its best days idk but as long as you don't drive 20 over the speed limit regularly you shouldn't be impacted to much.

Thats not a bad price unless you are willing to get a little adventurous and try it youself. and all you will need it some new gear oil for the rear and silicon to reseal the diff cover when it's finished. Keep in mind installing gears will throw your seedo off so you will either have to live with that or buy a tuner to reset your speedo. On the upside a tuner will help out your mpgs so you may be able to get it back closer to the mpgs you where getting with the stock gears.

Also a speedcal splice in box that sits under your shifter cover can be used to reset your speedo and is substantialy cheaper.