2000 pound notch is it worth it?

dakrt123

Jul 3, 2006
Hi, Looking to buy a notchback original 5.0 fox My question is theres one for sale locally thats a 89 notch battery relocated, manual steering rack conversion,a/c delete, manual brakes. 5 speed 3.73s h pipe and flows. The thing is the motor is bone stock! The guy claims it turns a low 12 second pass in its current form weighing in at a lil over 2000 pounds, hes asking 6400 o.b.o. just dropped his price from 7,000 i remember this car for sale early this year from someone else for 5,000 or best. Is that price sound right for something like this or should i wait and get something with an already built motor for the same kinda cash? My limit is right between 5 and 6 thousand. anyone local in arizona or possibly surrounding states with something pretty modded hit me up thanks all. Bobby

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry but it still weighs close to 3k lbs A/c delete new pipes,and manual rack do not knock 1000lbs off a car unless the interior is completely gutted and thats even pushing it..

Yeah i don't see it weighing 2000 pounds unless it's really gutted.

It's prob close to just under 3000 pounds.

But with the righ suspension setup, a near stock motor can run 12's. It's been done before, but it isn't something you typically see.

I'd put money on the guy BSin you a bit to buy the car

Yeah its got drag springs upper/lowers welded torque boxes, etc. and no back seat, im thinking of waiting now that i think and think about that the freakin motor is bone stock.Oh well gettin kinda antsy to get another 5.0 but the market is slow out here for what i want in my price range.

I don't think it's possible to make a Mustang 2k pounds, even if it's guttend and has tubular k member and even fiberglass doors. You don't even see open track cars weighing that much, because once you take away all that you've gotta add roll bar to put back the structural rigidity.

The back seat 50lbs tops.. Manual rack - 25 for power steering pump and another 25 for a/c pump No big gains mabe 30lbs for the cats and thats a big maybe..

RsStanG1987 said:
The back seat 50lbs tops.. Manual rack - 25 for power steering pump and another 25 for a/c pump No big gains mabe 30lbs for the cats and thats a big maybe..

Right and that's just over 100lbs, and your typical Fox is 3k+, even a coupe. You'd have to have no roll cage, lexan windows throughout, fiberglass hood/doors/trunk, remove the whole wiring harness except for the absolute essentials....man it's a big list of stuff.

Thanks everyone i really appreciate the info its made me think do I really want a bone stock lx coupe tahts a little lightened up for 6400 or best. haha i guess the search continues. BTW all in all is a lx coupe really that much lighter than a lets say GT in stock figure? Ive searched and found so so many different answers no conculusion at all. Thanks.

I think an Lx hatch is only like 200lbs light than a gt. So the coupe couldnt be that much lighter. Why dont you just stick with a bone stock coupe and lighten it your self..

For 6000, you should be able to get a complete car, and you decide what wieght to take out. Nothing like getting a car and having to spend alot of time on ebay finding seats, a/c, power steering, and all the crap someone should not of taken out of a 12 second car.

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
I don't think it's possible to make a Mustang 2k pounds, even if it's guttend and has tubular k member and even fiberglass doors. You don't even see open track cars weighing that much, because once you take away all that you've gotta add roll bar to put back the structural rigidity.

It is possible just not safe for the street. Gotta take out the entire interior, bumpers, wiring, the door supports etc.

mackey said:
It is possible just not safe for the street. Gotta take out the entire interior, bumpers, wiring, the door supports etc.

Yeah that was my point behind structural rigidity. I bet even a stock 5.0 would put out enough torque that the whole chassis would twist if you removed all that stuff, let alone a warmed over engine. It'd be a huge waste of time.

Over time it would twist if you had enough traction. It would only be a huge waste of time with a street car. A stock 5.0 with 225hp would be in the 12s easy in a car that weight. Most likely would be in the 11s. Could be much much lower with traction.

Yeah, cause im looking for a street car more than anything, for the price hes asking some guy is willin got sell me a 92 GT with a cobra motor conversion in it so im figurin on that being better and more reliable.