2000 SOHC Windsor repair/part out?

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
Houston Texas
I have a 2000 SOHC Windsor motor from my 2000 GT. It is high mileage (150K). The timing tensioner wore out and failed. The chain guides also broke. The bits of plastic clogged the oil pick-up and a few seconds later, a large bit of plastic wedged between the timing chain and crank shaft gear seizing the engine.

I ended up replacing the entire engine. Now I am trying to figure out what to do with the old motor. It needs at minimum a timing set and oil pump. The motor is clean and did run strong before the failure.

I am not positive that PTV contact did not occur. I do not believe it did because the chains did not break and the motor was idling at the time of failure.

Since the motor did run for a few seconds with low oil pressure, what is the likely hood of bearing damage?

Should this motor be repaired, would it be a good idea to perform a compression test? Since the motor does not have a transmission attached, using the starter is not an option. Does anybody have any experience with the spin type compression tests that the salvage yards use? How much does something like this cost?

Or is this best parted out (somebody's PI upgrade) or used as a "core"? Thanks for any input.

• Sponsors (?)

I wish I could help you since you have helped so many here but I do not have any input on this advanced topic. Sorry...

Modular Fords can be good for the more advanced topics...

I have a 2000 SOHC Windsor motor from my 2000 GT. It is high mileage (150K). The timing tensioner wore out and failed. The chain guides also broke. The bits of plastic clogged the oil pick-up and a few seconds later, a large bit of plastic wedged between the timing chain and crank shaft gear seizing the engine.

A mere piece of plastic isn't going to seize the engine. The plastic would just be crushed and ground into mince as the engine continued on inertia. However, given how catastrophic it sounds, the loss of timing chain tension may have led to the chain(s) mechanically binding up in there.

I am not positive that PTV contact did not occur. I do not believe it did because the chains did not break and the motor was idling at the time of failure.

Since the motor did run for a few seconds with low oil pressure, what is the likely hood of bearing damage?

If it was idling and stopped very soon after the failure, the bearings are probably fine. If the timing went out before the assembly stopped rotating, PTV could have occured. Even one ding at low speed is enough to bend a valve.

The motor might be saved but the in addition to the minimum oil pump (and it might just need cleaning out if it just ingested plastic) and timing set, you'd also want to flush the oil gallery between the pump and the filter to clear out any plastic chewed up by the oil pump. Cut open the filter to see how much, if any, got through.

Should this motor be repaired, would it be a good idea to perform a compression test? Since the motor does not have a transmission attached, using the starter is not an option. Does anybody have any experience with the spin type compression tests that the salvage yards use? How much does something like this cost?

Or is this best parted out (somebody's PI upgrade) or used as a "core"? Thanks for any input.

Given its mileage, I'd be tempted to try to sell it as is, being very clear about its status to a buyer. You probably won't recoup your expenses in getting new front-end parts for it to bolt to a 150,000 mile bottom end. Even when repaired, you won't get much for it. Someone might see it as a good, cheap core for building a PI-headed forged blower motor from the bottom-up...