Engine 2000 v6 mustang

Discussion in 'SN95 V6 Mustang Tech' started by dontrell, Mar 26, 2013.

1. dontrell

dontrell New Member

i just got a v6 mustang 2000 and i wanted to change motor to v8 so i can keep v6 insurance can anyone help wat do i have to change
  2. Noobz347

Noobz347 Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor Admin Dude

You will have to change more than what it will cost you to insure a V8 car. You'd be better off finding a complete (wrecked) donor car from the junk yard so that you will have a host of swappable parts. Preferably one that was side-swiped.
  3. JB04v6

JB04v6 Member

4. Noobz347

Not sure what you're trying to get at here. If you mean that a V8 costs you more in insurance than a V6 will then yes... That is correct. The point is that a conversion to a V8 will cost you even more. It's a lot more involved than just slapping a V8 into the car and turning the key. Items that you will need that come immediately to mind:

Engine
    Entire Wiring Harness
    Engine Control Unit
    Transmission
    Drive shaft
    K-member
    Complete Exhaust system
    Fuel pump (at minimum)
    8.8 inch Rear End (Yeah... the whole thing)

To make it viable, you would need to purchase a V8 car from the junk yard and swap everything over. If you tried to buy these parts a piece at a time, it will cost more than what the difference in the price of your insurance would cost you. A LOT more.

If you're able to do the work yourself then you're ahead of the game. If you're paying someone to do it RIGHT, then it would a LOT cheaper to buy a used V8 car, register it, insure it, and drive it.

Even if your insurance for a V8 car increased $200 a month (No way in the world it should be unless your driving record is seriously screwed), that's still only $2400 a year. The swap is going to cost you a lot more than that.
  5. JB04v6

JB04v6 Member

nahhhh, I meant you can mod a 6 and be happy with it..not motor swap cuz they are out there modded and ya never get what you put in.
  6. Noobz347

Oh no doubt... I've seen a couple turbo kits and one Torque Tech kit that I was particularly impressed with. I didn't drive any of the turbo cars but the Torque Tech car would have slain any stock 2V 4.6. I don't recall ever seeing one of those kits for cars earlier than 05 though. :chin