2000xp8, my 18 inch tire and wheel setup explained

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
NJ
Ok, alot of you guys have seen my car, and this is not another self promotion thread.
It's just that i get a large number of pm's with questions about my wheels and suspension. So i made this thread so that i can just link people to it.

It's not that i mind the attention, because i love it, it's just that i find myself typing the same thing about 5 times a week.

Suspension Mods: koni adjustables, steeda lowers, saleen progressive rate springs, subframes, bbk camber caster plates. offset steering rack bushings.

Wheels: Real 1995 saleen 5 lug 5 spokes, with chrome saleen center caps.

Here's the story behind the rims. I originally had 1990 saleen 5 spokes on the car, the front rotors were from a lincoln, the was a fms 5 lug and axle setup, that can be had here for $199 http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FMS-M1126A

The front rotors can be had on ebay or parts stores under $100 bucks a set.
I believe (it's been a long time) that the front rotors came from an LSC, the only difference is that they are 5 lug, not 4. They are a direct match, if you are worried about the fittment, either take your rotor to the store and match it up, or ask the guy at the counter for a stock rotor for your car and match it up.

This was the way it was done on my car until the last 3 years or so.

This is how it is done now, but note there are no fittment differences.
4 18x8.5 inch saleen wheels from a 1995 saleen mustang, they are 2 fronts 2 backs, with different offsets. 1/4 inch spacers out back, they are about 5 bucks a piece at pepboys, they are not on there because i need them, they are on there to add a little width.
265/35/18 tires on the back, 225/40/18's up front, the tire is not really wide enough for the rim, it's stretched a little, but it gives more room for turning, since the profile is smaller.

I have no quad shocks out back, and honestly i don't know if the wheels would him, since i've never had them on.

As far as hitting the fenders, the wheels never do, front or back, but if your fender liners are loose up front you may need to tighten them up.

My rear setup now is as follows:31 spline moser axles with 3in cold hardened studs, new auburn with 3.73's and the rest is new too. But as i said it's basically the same setup and width.

The front i have installed an agr 15:1 road race steering rack (it's unreal how easy and fast it turns, it also turns way further). If i turn all the way with this rack (and only this rack, not the stock one) it will rub the rims on the a arms, it's really not a big deal, and it's tolerable.

Oh, and i almost forgot, i had to flatten the bearings dust cap on the front to get my center caps on, just a little, not a big deal.

Pictures are on my cardomain site in my sig, i tried to link them, but at the moment no tags show up when i click on add image, i'll try again later.

And yes this is the cheap way to do it, it's probably about 1000 dollars cheaper than adding disc brakes to the back, and the sn95 setup up front.
I wish i had the big brakes, and one day it will happen, just not today.

I'd like to add, that i have the rims meant for the front of the 95 on the back of my car, and the backs on the front.

• Sponsors (?)