2001 5.0 swap?

DustoneGT

Nov 16, 2003
Las Cruces, NM
I was wondering...

How hard would it be to install a 5.0 from a 94-95 into a
2001 coupe with a v6 and a 5 speed.

Are the bolt patterns the same? How well would the tranny hold up?
If the stock tranny wouldn't take it, how much trouble would it be to put in the 5 speed from the 94-95?

I know the mounts are going to be different, how different? Can the
mounts be bolted in to install the 5.0?

Of course there is other issues such as coolant lines, A/C, and fuel lines.

What about ECM wiring? How hard would that be for this swap?

• Sponsors (?)

You'd have to get a 5.0 K-member (or an aftermarket one). You could use an older EEC setup from a 87-95, or you could use the OBD2 EEC from a 96+ Explorer 5.0. The latter would be your best bet if you're going to try to do this in a place that does emissions testing. As for the tranny, IIRC the 99+ V6 uses a 300+ ft-lb capable T-5, so with the proper bellhousing (not sure if it's different on the 5.0) you shouldn't have any trouble with it, unless you are making lots of torque (say 400+ at the crank, perhaps).

It sounds like a pain in the butt, why do you want to do it? I'm a lazy ass, I just bought a 95 GT when I decided I wanted a 5.0 again. There are several articles on the net about the conversion, do a google search and you should hit 'em.

Dave

Yes if you want to have the new looks your best bet is going to be getting a body in white, and droping it on your chassis (as much dropping you can do with a sub frame car). NOt to mention most states that have smog you have to have the same year motor or newer for it to be legal. IN other words you can put a 5.4 in a 94 v6 car but you cannot put a 5.0 or 5.8 into a 96+ v6 car.

5.0 Swap

Good luck...the necessary changes to the fuel system alone make it more trouble than its worth, imo. If you must do a swap, then I'd look for a 99+ 4.6L. At least you are converting engines with similar fuel systems.

What kind of budget are you working with?? There may be better alternatives out there instead of doing a swap and assuming you don't want to sell your car and just outright by a V8.

blksn955.o said:
NOt to mention most states that have smog you have to have the same year motor or newer for it to be legal. IN other words you can put a 5.4 in a 94 v6 car but you cannot put a 5.0 or 5.8 into a 96+ v6 car.
Partly true, partly not. You do technically need to use a same year or newer motor, but that does not mean you cannot put a 5.0 into a 96+ car. You just need to use a 5.0 from a 2001 Explorer V8 (the last year that the Explorer had a 5.0, in 2002 they switched it to a 4.6L).

Dave

Here it has to do with the motor available in that car not the whole line, at least in MO it is this way, I know for a fact if you go for smog here and they see a pushrod on a 4.6 mustang you fail. NOw taking a vin tag and having the police switch the car you can make a 99v6 a 94 and a 5.0/5.8 would then be posible thats the loop hole here.

This is just one of my random thoughts and is not going to be the most reliable:

Carb it. Forget all those EEC programs and troubles. If you don't have emissions and don't drive the car daily - Carb it.

Joe