Progress Thread 2001 Gt Engine Swap To 2010 Crown Vic 4.6

Floyd the bear

Oct 23, 2016
I am new to the late model mustang world and taking this journey for my grandchildren.

The original 4.6 engine measured the coolant temperature at the intake and the factory new 2010 crown vic looks like it measures it under the intake.

My question is which is better? I like the idea of measuring the temperature at the block.

• Sponsors (?)

For the record the Crown Vic PCM monitors temperature at BOTH the coolant (ECT) and the cylinder head temperature (CHT). The PCM uses this data to better protect the motor from over heating.

Consider that the CHT does lag compared to the ECT. Which is why the Crown Vic monitors both.

The ECT does have the problem that it will read low IF the coolant level is low. Whereas the CHT will read correct.

BUT the Mustang PCM in the 4.6 doesn't have support for a cylinder head temperature sensor (CHT) so does it matter which is "better"?

Don't expect good results if you were to hook the ECT wire to the CHT.

Most people doing this swap either remove the CHT or just leave it unconnected.

image.jpeg
That's the reason why I asked the question, the intake has the boss area for the pipe thread but is not drilled or tapped. My thinking was they moved it to the cylinder head on the 2010.
I have attached a photo of the manifold.

Using this forum for information we have pulled the engine and transmission. Over the next few days we will swap the wiring harness, fuel injectors, flywheel and clutch.
Ran across one issue the egr tubing was cracked, in the past I would have plugged it and did an egr delete but reading an article in Stangnet showed me the benefits a good working egr.

Drilled and tapped the intake manifold and started to add the fuel injector but they look terrible. They are EV 1 19-lb stock injectors, the new engine injectors are EV-6 but look to be 40-lb injectors (I guess because of it being a flex fuel engine). This ruined my plans to use them.

To get the best PCM compatibility the original Stock Mustang injectors should be used. Anything else will need a tune.

IF the Mustang injectors are suspect, then consider an injector cleaning and flow test service such as injectorRX.com. Once cleaned and tested they are as good as new. Cheaper than new.

Thanks, because I am wanting to assemble the engine/transmission and stick it in the car I am going to buy new o-rings and install the injectors after cleaning them. At the same time I am ordering a set of stock rebuilt and balanced injectors.
Any suggestions on the best and most economical place to purchase the A?

As an older mechanic I am really impressed with ford and the way they designed the engine assembly. With all of the electronics and fuel injection I found it a pleasure to add the wiring harness and assemble all the components preparing for installation. All just plug and play.

The engine was installed and started up after I installed a stock 89 octane tune. The new engine runs smoothly but because of the rain the car is still up on jack stands.

The SCT tuner that came with the car has no name associated with the 3 tunes
89 stock
91 stock
91 race
Wish I could tell who did the tune so I could look for updates.

The new engine runs great went ahead and installed the new 24lb injectors and update the tune to match.

I started tearing the old engine to see what happen and what I found was new to me. The front 2 rod bearings were welded to the crank (really soldered) the rest of the rods and mains were good. Everything looks fresh and it appears some mistake was made or the oil passage was plugged.

Next a set of gears.