2001 GT mods....Do i have to tune?

mustangman70

Founding Member
Dec 30, 2001
St pete, Florida
Im putting a C&L plenum, BBK 75mm throttle body, C&L inlet pipe and a C&L 80mm mass air into a buddies car...

I told him he SHOULD tune it...im allmost positve if you change the MASS you need to retune...

But i cant for the life of me get him to understand that it would probably be a better HP increase to tune it...even if he DOSENT use the 80mm mass air..

I dont even think the mass is needed.. i mean will the 80mm mass even make more power if all he is putting on the car is a plenum, cold air, and a throttle body :shrug:

I think he should just put the plenum, cold air, and a throttle body on and tune it :bang:

Or would it be a waste to tune it with those mods...if im right im pretty sure its commen sense to tune it for those mods...ESPECIALLY with the 80mm mass

WTF do i do here i dont know mod motors like i know a windsor :rlaugh:

• Sponsors (?)

With the larger MAF he will need to recalibrate for it. You can always benefit from a tune, even in stock form. Upgrading to a premium fuel tune can rate you a decent gain. I dont want to say how much because it varies depending on where you get the tune from. You can order a tune or take it and get it dyno tuned. The latter would get the best results.
Depending on what upgrades your buddy already has...Im not sure if he'll really benefit from these mods. For the same amount of money he would see more gains from headers and a mid-pipe.

You don't need a tune. It won't "hurt," but it won't "help" much either. Not worth the money for him atm.

The C&L reuses the factory mass air electronics but the pipe itself is slightly larger. My C&L I used to have gave me surging problems so I took it off and sold it.

If he "assured" you that headers (I'm assuming LT's) won't give much gain, he has a lot to learn about the mod motor.