2001 gt won't turn over after some work

jomull55

May 20, 2007
lucas, OH
hey guys, my 2001 gt wont turn over after i replaced a timing tensioner and timing chain. while i had it all apart i painted my timing cover. does anyone know if anything grounds to the timing cover? would that cause the car to not start?

my theft light flashes rapidly when i open the door, also the headlights will not come on and the t/c button light flashes. i did a few hours of research on this but am still unsure of the problem. any help is appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

alright here goes the full story and progress pics....
i could hear my timing chain running like a bicycle if i would give the car a bit of gas.
so i began to tear down to see what the problem is, and the passenger side timing chain was way too loose, so i replaced with a new tensioner and timing chain on that side and the chain now stays tight. got it all put back together and now it wont start and is having the symptoms i have listed above.

here is the loose chain
SDC10048.jpg

timing cover before paint
SDC10053.jpg

after paint
SDC10057.jpg

pulling on the new chain has hardly any slack at all
SDC10079.jpg

motor all put back together with valve covers painted...
SDC10081.jpg

SDC10082.jpg

SDC10083.jpg

Well how about the obvious..... Is ur starter good? Hooked up correctly? Did u by chance ground a wire that needed to go to the power distribution block (don't ask).

i have never had any problems with my starter, battery has good voltage, i can't find anything unpluged or bare that i had touched during this process. but i am being told by others on a different forum that there are at least one ground that connects to the timing cover. so i will check this out when i get to working on the car tonight (currently at work)

i am really hoping that a ground to my timing cover turns out to be my issue

The only grounds I can remember, 1 off the back of the d/s head to the firewall. 1 from the d/s motor mount to the frame, 1 from battery negative harness to the frame, then the h/l grounds and all those small little bastards. There should be two different o ring connectors going to your power dist box. The you do hav two metal brackets the mount to the bottom two timing cover bolts that hold ur wires up and out of the way. There are no grounds to the t/cover that I can remember.

i know exactly what i took apart and ive checked it over... no one else has any knowledge on this??:shrug:

No help here, wish you the best. BTW, why paint the timing cover of a stock car? That seems like a ton of work for something that is not noticeable.

Good luck, this thread belongs in the "Tech" section. More help to be found over there.

Is it clicking or is the starter not turning the engine over? If its not turning it over and you cannot turn it over by hand, your timing is off and you have a valve pressing against a piston.

No help here, wish you the best. BTW, why paint the timing cover of a stock car? That seems like a ton of work for something that is not noticeable.

Good luck, this thread belongs in the "Tech" section. More help to be found over there.

if you read my post in the thread above you will see that i had a stretched timing chain and the car was apart to fix that issue. so i painted it while i had it off, plus it looked like chit before.