2001 mustang GT autmatic tranny question.

I have an oppertunity to buy a 2001 mustang GT with 180k miles with automatic tranny. Im a big fan of 5spds but this car is priced right. but im wondering how well the automatics in these cars hold up to horse power gains or bolt on's rather. in the 80's and 90's every mustang 5.0 car I owned with auto's always seemed to crap out on me. just wondering will they tipically hold up as well as a 5spd car and are they waaay slower than a 5 spd GT?

• Sponsors (?)

The 4R70W is extremely strong and will endure more punishment/power than even a T5 or TR3650 manual. If you are concerned with strength, the auto is top-notch.

And no, they are not any bit slower than a 5spd. That is just something that 5spd owners like to tell themselves.

I agree with the above post. The 4R70W is very stout. I had one in a 98 Explorer and had 35" tires on it and the truck was pounded on daily. It had the 5.0 in it and saw a lot of off roading. I sold it with 170k and the tranny still shifted great and had zero problems. I also have one in my Mustang with 155k on it. No problems at all. 4R70Ws are rated for a lot more HP then a stock Mustang puts out.

ok, ty for the replies. car already has off road x-pipe 40 series flows, been lowered with caster and K&N filter with 410's. watched a few videos on youtube and noticed when the cars shift into 2nd gear seems like it falls on its face then picks up gradually. eh I dont know might just be me. again ty for the replies.

ok, ty for the replies. car already has off road x-pipe 40 series flows, been lowered with caster and K&N filter with 410's. watched a few videos on youtube and noticed when the cars shift into 2nd gear seems like it falls on its face then picks up gradually. eh I dont know might just be me. again ty for the replies.

Link to vids....?