2001 Power window problem

orda13

May 23, 2011
I have had my mustang for a couple of years now, and every time summer comes around I have this issue come up. When I gets hot out my driver side window quits rolling up and down. But as soon as evening comes and it cools down, it works again. Any suggestions on what may be causing the issue?

• Sponsors (?)

faulty window motor maybe? how long has it been going on for? My window motors have gone out twice, and its pretty annoying. If it is faulty it could be overheating already and the heat from summer just makes it worse, and the evening cools it down. But i would look into getting another motor for the window.

This would be my second year with this problem. I bought my mustang back in 2008 and I have had this issue last summer and it has started this summer. I was thinking it could possibly be the motor, but I wasnt sure. It still seems to draw power when I try to roll it down even though its not working, but doesnt draw any when I try to roll it up. So I was kinda wondering if it is possibly the switch, but i dont know why it would only do it during the summer then. How much did you spend on a new window motor?

Ive seen them anywhere from 80 to 150 dollars, but if you want to put it in yourself that would be pretty helpful, because the first time i had mine done the shop charged me a little over 300. So does it make any noises at all when you try to roll it up? and when it goes down does it go down smooth or is it rough because it could be off its tracks too, but im not sure if that would cause the no power issue.

Just wondering if everyone is aware that the windows are protected by an automatic circuit breaker? The CB will trip when it detects an overload. It will automatically reset when it cools.

Each individual window motor is also protected by a CB.

I could see a case where an faulty CB is affected by the heat in the engine bay and trips too soon.

I could also see a case where there is a real overload and the automatic nature of the CB offers an explaination of why the problem appears to "come and go".