2001 V6 Lowering Q's

[BlackDiamond]

Sep 19, 2005
Hey All!

I have a 2001 V6 Mustang and have just purchased 4 Bullit rims and tires. They are 17" with the 45 series tires. I would like to reduce the gap between the TOP of the tire to the bottom of the fenders. The side GAP is perfect (about 1.5") but the top gap is about 2.5".

I'm considering lowering the car about 1" and am wondering what is the best approach to that.

Currently thinking of purchasing a set of 4 Steeda Sport springs and doing the work myself (only replacing the springs). Do I need to buy new struts and/or shocks?

By replacing just the springs am I going to be losing ride quality and proper alignment?? Will I still be able to align the car without problems??

Any other recommendations??

Thank you for any response. :Teh-Win:
BlackDiamond

• Sponsors (?)

[BlackDiamond] said:
Hey All!

I have a 2001 V6 Mustang and have just purchased 4 Bullit rims and tires. They are 17" with the 45 series tires. I would like to reduce the gap between the TOP of the tire to the bottom of the fenders. The side GAP is perfect (about 1.5") but the top gap is about 2.5".

I'm considering lowering the car about 1" and am wondering what is the best approach to that.

Currently thinking of purchasing a set of 4 Steeda Sport springs and doing the work myself (only replacing the springs). Do I need to buy new struts and/or shocks? No, you don't need to buy new shocks/struts but if they are stock they will wear out faster and since you are changing the springs it would be quick and more productive to change them with the springs.

By replacing just the springs am I going to be losing ride quality and proper alignment?? Will I still be able to align the car without problems?? Alignement will not be a problem. You may need caster/camber plates but more than likey not. Ride quality will be stiffer and will be able to feel the bumps more but you are stiffening up the suspension pieces so you will loose something to gain something.

Any other recommendations?? You may need a bumpsteer, you may need caster/camber, you may need new shocks/struts. I would suggest them all since they all compliment one another and if you do the install of all at once it is easier. It does not take that much mechanical knowledge just some basic hand tools and maybe an air compressor for the struts.

Thank you for any response. :Teh-Win:
BlackDiamond
See above...

I have a 2000 v6, and i lowered it with the pro-kit from eibach, it lowered the front 2 inches and 1.5 in the rear after it settled, and all i did was the springs, the ride quality is rough, but it's worth it for the cornering! If money's tight, you CAN get away with just the springs, but if u got some $$ to spare, i would suggest the shocks and struts. Also, i did have to take my car in to get the front wheels re-aligned, but 1" drop shouldnt put ur alignment out too terribly. Let me know whut u plan to do!