2002 Completely Loose Harmonic Balancer?

cughter

Dec 1, 2009
Hi, just got under my 2002 3.8l mustang for a routine oil changed and noticed something strange. A part (that I believe to be the harmonic balancer) is completely loose and moves almost freely back and forth on the crank pulley. I can push it back into position and it feels semi snug but I'm pretty sure its not supposed to do that. Here is a picture illustrating what I mean.
E8dGWAV.jpg

When I start the car, the harmonic balancer spins with the crank pulley and sort of positions itself towards the engine like its about to fall off of where it is supposed to be poitioned on the crank pulley. This part is supposed to be seated firmly on the flywheel and not move freely right? Do you think it is safe to drive like this until I have the time to fix it? I have some pretty ridiculous vibration but only above 70mph on certain sub-perfect sections of the freeway I commute daily on. I thought the car just needed and alignment but perhaps this harmonic balancer issue is contributing. Any help is appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)