2002 Tint Problem, should I replace with a louver?

egthareal

Jul 1, 2004
Ok, so about 1year ago I splurged and spent $150bux on tint for my car.. Now the back window is bubbling, and the place I bought it from tells me that I didn't buy the extended warranty now it will cost another $200 for removal and reputting it on. Because, its so hard to remove tint on a back window without hurting the defroster...

Now heres what I'm thinking, if I gotta pay $200bux, why not try this thing over my bubbling tint:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/spoilers4less/wp10611.html

Heres what my car looks like right now:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/286891/3

And finally the possible problems with doing this:
1. Not everyone likes these things, I do personally and think it would look rad on my car.
2. The tint will still be bubbling.
3. My view of the rear portion of my car will be hindered and I might kill a small grandma in the parking lot of sav-on.

Your thoughts are very much appreciated and will be taken into consideration on the final decision...

• Sponsors (?)

In my opinion, $150 for a tint job on a 2002 Mustang sounded like a "El Cheapo" job. I personally charge at least $250 especially due to the concave and the shape of the rear window of the 2002 Ford Mustang. Just the fact that they said they would charge you $200 to remove the tint on the rear window shows you thier shady. Its actually not that hard, its just time consuming and something no tinter really wants to do. Tint that is about a year old will still come off pretty easily. Its tint that is over 2 to 3 years old that sometimes requires scraping just to get off. And cheap tint also hinders removal. Just the fact that after 1 year it bubbling shows it probably was not installed right.

As for the Louvers, I have yet to see a Mustang with em. Get some photoshoped on your ride to actually see how it will look before you get em. The really do not hinder your rear view because I had some on my old 82 280ZX and I was always able to see just fine out of the rear.

Hope that helps.

ChingonStang said:
In my opinion, $150 for a tint job on a 2002 Mustang sounded like a "El Cheapo" job.

Umm...no. That's about right.

My dad only paid $150 to get his 2001 Grand Marquis tinted. And there hasn't been any quality issues. In fact, the place he took it to is the place most of the car dealers in town use for their "dealer installed" tint.

BTW, his car sits outside in the Florida sun 24/7. It won't fit in our stupid garage.

Thanks for the comments.... It's not really a guy, its a business but -- it is kind of shady. I mean they are registered with the BBB so worse comes to worse they fix it and do a bad job I can file a complaint. But, if anyone has any photo shop skills and can throw that on my stang that would be wonderful

As for me I suck at photochoppin! But, I'm still debating louver or tint...

ChingonStang said:
In my opinion, $150 for a tint job on a 2002 Mustang sounded like a "El Cheapo" job. I personally charge at least $250 especially due to the concave and the shape of the rear window of the 2002 Ford Mustang. Just the fact that they said they would charge you $200 to remove the tint on the rear window shows you thier shady. Its actually not that hard, its just time consuming and something no tinter really wants to do. Tint that is about a year old will still come off pretty easily. Its tint that is over 2 to 3 years old that sometimes requires scraping just to get off. And cheap tint also hinders removal. Just the fact that after 1 year it bubbling shows it probably was not installed right.

As for the Louvers, I have yet to see a Mustang with em. Get some photoshoped on your ride to actually see how it will look before you get em. The really do not hinder your rear view because I had some on my old 82 280ZX and I was always able to see just fine out of the rear.

Hope that helps.

i paid 170 and they used llumar tint (5%) and added a black piece of vinyl over the top rear defroster holes..

if i heard 250, i would have gone and bought some pullies

egthareal said:
Ok, so about 1year ago I splurged and spent $150bux on tint for my car.. Now the back window is bubbling, and the place I bought it from tells me that I didn't buy the extended warranty now it will cost another $200 for removal and reputting it on. Because, its so hard to remove tint on a back window without hurting the defroster...

Now heres what I'm thinking, if I gotta pay $200bux, why not try this thing over my bubbling tint:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/spoilers4less/wp10611.html

Heres what my car looks like right now:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/286891/3

And finally the possible problems with doing this:
1. Not everyone likes these things, I do personally and think it would look rad on my car.
2. The tint will still be bubbling.
3. My view of the rear portion of my car will be hindered and I might kill a small grandma in the parking lot of sav-on.

Your thoughts are very much appreciated and will be taken into consideration on the final decision...

u shoulda went to a shop where all tinting is lifetime warranteed

ryanrule said:
u shoulda went to a shop where all tinting is lifetime warranteed

No such thing :bs: :rlaugh: , most shops will find a way for you to pay some type of fee. Show me tint that lasts a lifetime and I will show you a Mustang GT that has never been serviced or repaired with over 1 million miles and still going...

propellerhead said:
I think louvers on late model Mustangs look ugly.

ChingonStang: What causes bubbling in tint?

Depends on many factors...

1. Cheap Arse Tint for one. Like the kind you pick up at AutoZone or Pep Boys.

2. Incorrect installation. Either some installer decided to cut corners and not properly clean the back window before installing the tint. Or he didn't bother to heat shrink the tint before install to ensure proper fit on our very rounded rear windows. Or he didn't bother to hardcard the tint after install to get all the water and air out. At least our rear windows aren't as difficult or as big as the older camero's :notnice: ...I hate doing those, ugh.

I also love when people with tinted windows don't use the proper cleaning solutions with certain kinds of tint and you get inside their vehicle and the tint is purple...heh. I retint quite a few of those it seems.

just out of curiosity chingon, what kind of tint do u use?

also typically bubbling on the back window can be caused by using household window cleaners like windex which contains ammonia. Even some of the auto glass cleaners contain it as well, you have to read very carefully. With tinted windows you want to make sure the stuff you use does not contain ammonia, I use Stoner's glass cleaner, great stuff. My windows are tinted 20% all around except for the windshield and the top part of the back glass where Ford puts the dot matrix. I've got vinyl on the front and back, which I wasn't too sure of how it would look at first. But I think it looks really good and so does everyone else that compliments my car. As for the rear window louvers, the only time I think they can be pulled off on a car, is on like a 69' Mach 1, new cars today just look stupid with them in my opinion.

Eric

silverstangman said:
just out of curiosity chingon, what kind of tint do u use?

also typically bubbling on the back window can be caused by using household window cleaners like windex which contains ammonia. Even some of the auto glass cleaners contain it as well, you have to read very carefully. With tinted windows you want to make sure the stuff you use does not contain ammonia, I use Stoner's glass cleaner, great stuff. My windows are tinted 20% all around except for the windshield and the top part of the back glass where Ford puts the dot matrix. I've got vinyl on the front and back, which I wasn't too sure of how it would look at first. But I think it looks really good and so does everyone else that compliments my car. As for the rear window louvers, the only time I think they can be pulled off on a car, is on like a 69' Mach 1, new cars today just look stupid with them in my opinion.

Eric

Mainly Llumar, some ArmorGard. Been trying out Sun-X and DARTZFILMZ. Some of the stuff DARTZFILMZ has is just out there...

Ah...the dot matrix...heh. Many people have different ways of dealing with the dot matrix. Most people just chose to vinyl, which is the easiet. I've painted it with some success. Wet Sanding it before installing tint has been working good for me. Some other tinters I know are using clear glue to make the tint stick. The most common way I knew at first was to let the tint dry and then go back with a hardcard and push the tint against the dot matrix. It is a touchy area.

yeah i know my previous tint bubbled up and we tried everything u listed just about and after time nothing worked, so i decided to go vinyl. i think it looks pretty good.compared to how crappy most mustangs look with the bubbled tint i think it looks great. ive got sungard on mine you might want to try that out. its called desert smoke i believe, looks great. when i took the old tint off, i used a steamer which removed just about all of it. you were right the key to a good tint job is the prep work, most people slack off in this department. and 250 for a quality tint job (with removing old tint) is about right as long as u warantee your work.

eric

The best shop in my area charges $150 for a 2-door 5-window coupe. The do absolutely incredible work too.

I had my LX tinted by them 6 years ago and it's like the day i got it still.

I plan on having my Gt done soon by them as well