2003 cobra or 2005 GT=which should i buy?

im going to get a new stang in spring of 05 and i wanted to ask everybody which car i should get.here are my choices;a brand new 05 gt slick from showroom,or a 2003-2004 cobra with under 20,000 miles and in mint condition.yeah the 03-04 svt would be used but the 6 speed and the power are positives.but then the 05 gt is new and hot body and engine. :bang: and 2 years for a cobra in new design is too long of a wait at this time to consider. :(

• Sponsors (?)

No right answer, no wrong answer, depends on the driver.
The 03-04 Cobra supplies brute power, but in an older looking body with no refinement. The 05 GT will get you a new look (and hopefully some improved ergo ... but the jurory is still out), but no where near the power or the performance of the Cobra. So it comes down to personal choice. Kinda like asking "What should I eat for dinner?" ..... depends on what your hungry for.

Anyway cobra is a waste of $$$. I went in one and was not impressed. Its nothing special... also the engine is powerful i will admit that. But for the amount of money it is and the amount of horsepower it has i was disapointed with how slow it was and there is no way i would ever pay that much for a glorified gt. (dont get me wrong, halfway decent car, but not worth the money... i would buy a saleen before a cobra).

MustangSteve007 said:
Anyway cobra is a waste of $$$. I went in one and was not impressed. Its nothing special... also the engine is powerful i will admit that. But for the amount of money it is and the amount of horsepower it has i was disapointed with how slow it was and there is no way i would ever pay that much for a glorified gt. (dont get me wrong, halfway decent car, but not worth the money... i would buy a saleen before a cobra).

03-04 SVT Cobra slow? uhh no. :shrug:

I rode in a 02 cobra and it didnt impress me, it wasn't much faster than my gt, but the 03-04 cobra is fast as hell. If somones says they are slow, well thats the biggest scoop i ever hear and ill be the one to give it to them. The 03 cobra will out perform the 05 gt is speed thats for sure, but you get the 05 gt and you get the handeling and the comfort that no other mustang can give you and its going to be far from slow. With a couple of mods you can be running pretty close to that cobra, thats if the rumors are true about the low 13's in this car. Your own opinion and the only way i would be able to make that choice is test drive both of them

pjdellenger80 said:
I rode in a 02 cobra and it didnt impress me, it wasn't much faster than my gt, but the 03-04 cobra is fast as hell.

I'm sure you meant 01 or 99.

Anyway, the first year run of any FORD Mustang is going to have issues. If a smaller volume SVT car is going to have issue we can believe the mass produced Mustang GT will also. I don't doubt the improvements in the handling and even the motor but it's appeal will be determined by the consumer when they debut.
I agree with pony542 until it hits the road going with a proven, albeit old bet is always safer when dealing with FORD.

You should be able to get a great deal on a used '03/'04 Cobra -- especially after the '05 debuts. For the power, that's what I would do. But find a used Cobra that hasn't been driven hard? For about the same money you will be able to get a never-abused new '05 with a warranty. And if it doesn't have enough power for you, the aftermarket will have supercharger kits (but there goes your factory warranty).

The only wrong choice is to keep waiting... until '06 for no 1st-year issues, until '07 for the high-price SVT, until '08 for a used '06/'07, until '09...

That said, I plan to keep my '03 Mach... until I can get an '07 SVT!

MustangSteve007 said:

What makes you say the cobra is slow. I chose not to buy one. But not for those reasons. And as for being a glorified GT. That's pretty much what the saleen is. The cobra is a more powerful engine, IRS, better brakes. And generally has all the options you could get in a gt standard. That and the Saleen costs more than the cobra.

03/04 Cobra a glorified GT!?!? Then go on to say youd rather have a Saleen over the Cobra!?!? Are you sure you are a Mustang enthusiast?

A Saleen in the epitome of a "glorified GT". Tell me in WHAT WAY a 03/04 Cobra is more of a glorified GT than a Saleen (S-281 or S-281 w/sc) is. The only Saleen Mustang that comes close to an 03/04 Cobra is a Saleen S-281-E, and they are $48k for a coupe and $50K+ for a vert, AND they still use a variant of the GT engine (2v).

The ONLY thing the Saleen's have over teh Cobras are styling (which is debatable) and probably wheels. Nothing else on a Saleen even comes close.

The one BIG thing the Saleen has over the Cobra is PRICE, as in way bigger (more exspensive)

AS far at the original question. You will either have to drive both or just go for the 03. Personally I was saving up for an 05. After test driving the 03 Cobra I went for it. These things ARE NOT slow. With crappy me as a driver and stock rubber I have mustered a best of 12.7 @111mph. That is seriously hauling ass for a basically stock car. The handling is great too. Yeah the IRS leads to unwanted wheel hop but the ride is smooth, compliant, and goes where she is pointed with little fan-fare. Best riding/handling stang I have ever been in.

Ask yourself this, if you could go back to late 1993 and had to choose a 93 Cobra or a 94 GT, which would you choose? This is kind of an updated version of the same thing.

Also consider. Take a 93 Cobra and a 94 GT with same mileage, same condition, and totally stock, what would they cost to get into TODAY?

stvdman said:
Ask yourself this, if you could go back to late 1993 and had to choose a 93 Cobra or a 94 GT, which would you choose? This is kind of an updated version of the same thing.

Also consider. Take a 93 Cobra and a 94 GT with same mileage, same condition, and totally stock, what would they cost to get into TODAY?

Part of that quetion can be argued with a depends on how many miles are on the Cobra. I've seen a couple times where low mile gt's get more than high mile cobras.

And there are other things to factor into that comparision. For instance this gt will make past cobra hp numbers on regular unleaded not premium. Which I believe is more of a difference than the 93 cobra had from the 94 gt.

And to say that you would should compare 2 cars with the same mileage. Favors the cobra but only if someone is not using the cobra as a daily driver. If they are both used as daily drivers. Then the newer 94 is going to have less miles.

MustangSteve007 said:
:lol: :rlaugh:

Go with the Cobra......and romp on the new GT's for the next 5 years

Buy a saleen :rlaugh: Talk about a waste of money

You need to decide WHAT you want the car for:

1. Collectability?
2. Performance?
3. Fun to drive?
4. Comfort?
5. Potential?
6. Looks (bling factor)
7. Costs (insurance, fuel, etc...)

These are what I went through when trying to decide.
1. Cobra
2. Cobra - HUGE adavntage
3. Cobra - slim margin
4. 05 - better be more comfortable
5. Cobra- sooooo easily modded
6. 05 - new kid on the block, styling is this cars strongest point
7. 05 - both will have had selling prices @ MSRP when first available, other than that
Cobra should cost more in all areas.

You just need to decide whats best for you. If you want the "new" factor and cruise in a car that can hold its own fairly well get the 05, if you want something that is just a bad mofo that takes no prisoners in any area, get the Cobra. IMHO of course.

MustangSteve007 said:

:rolleyes: Let me say you've got some things to learn ! :rlaugh:

pjdellenger80 said:
I rode in a 02 cobra and it didnt impress me, it wasn't much faster than my gt, but the 03-04 cobra is fast as hell. If somones says they are slow, well thats the biggest scoop i ever hear and ill be the one to give it to them. The 03 cobra will out perform the 05 gt is speed thats for sure, but you get the 05 gt and you get the handeling and the comfort that no other mustang can give you and its going to be far from slow. With a couple of mods you can be running pretty close to that cobra, thats if the rumors are true about the low 13's in this car. Your own opinion and the only way i would be able to make that choice is test drive both of them

I somewhat agree that "with a couple of mods" the new GT "may" be able to keep up with or get close to the 03 cobra but with that logic you could also say that with those "couple mods" on the cobra would absolutely spank the GT (even with mods).
If you like the looks, then go with the 05 GT, but personally i'd go with the Cobra. My reasoning is that in three to five years there will be a ton of 05+ GT's around and they wont be so hyped up as they are right now so it wont seem so special. At that time i believe you'd be much happier with your choice (or at least i would be) of buyng the 03 cobra.

In all reality what difference does it make what I or anyone else on here wants or likes??? Go out, drive an 03-04 Cobra, and an 05 GT and decide which you like best. If you like it thats what matters.

I would have to see the 05 mustang gt in person to make my choice, but probably go with the 03 cobra because of the performance out of these cars. I seen a stock cobra run a 12.7 in the quarter, the 05 gt will have to really be modded to get close to this number, but it could be done with the right perfomance parts. You can always mod the cobra too, this is true with many more mods than what the 05 mustang has to offer. The styling of these to mustang both look so good. I like the old body style right now, but in person i might really like the 05. Handeling and comfort is going to go to the 05 mustang, but if you want raw power than the cobra is for you and plus ITS A COBRA!