2004 Cobra

Morpheusgpr

Founding Member
Jan 28, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
I am about to leave work and go possibly talk numbers with a dealer who located a comp orange coupe.

I am picking up my silver 01 coupe with 29k miles, Kenny Brown suspension, SLP catback/x-pipe, pro 5.0, tinted windows, rust proofing and under body coating from rhino linings.

What kind of trade should I be looking at? I owe like 14k on it.

Not sure if I will even be approaved on it and I will also want to get an idea from my insurance how much my premiums will increase...which just went down as I got married.

What kind of pricing on the cobra? Dealer said well there is a 2500 back and this is the last cobra until 06 so I can kind of see where this might go. I have another dealer who located an orange one and I bet its the same one.

Its 111 miles away and I would want to figure out a way to get it without them driving it those miles...my paranoid break in procedure.

Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Awesome!!! Another Comp Orange owner!!! Too bad they are out of the converts. You will love that color. Everyone will stop you to ask what it is. Does the coupe have the upgraded chrome wheels?

Well I got myself into trouble here.

I bought one. Its 100 or so miles away and they are sending one of the drivers for it tomorrow.

They are giving me only 17k for my 01 cobra silver coupe with kenney brown suspension and slp exhaust..29k miles.

Ended up with the car for I think it was 31,500.

At the end the difference ended up being like 28,710 or something. I owe 14,200 give or take on my 01 so that rolled over.

How did I make out? Can't believe I went up there and walked out with paper work on a new 04 comp orange.

On the wheels...not sure :( It stickered at like 35,865 or something in that area.

They anticiapte it having roughly 150 miles on it when it arrives.

Opted not to get the extended warranty at this time in case I decide to mod it.

I need to go outside and get my densencharger instake and pro-m mas of my 01 only been on for 300 miles or less no use in letting them have it I can sell it on here or something.

Damn shame I had all the KB work and SLP stuff put on...sounds freaking awesome.

sigh...well my insurance is going up like 227 every six months but this dealer puts window etching in for tracking so that may drop it some more and my payment per month is going up like 130-140 bucks and thats on 72 months.

I may be able to help you out a little bit as I'm in the business. First off beware that 1) what the dealer offers you for your trade in is not necessarily what the car is worth (the difference is pretty important) and 2) dealers do not toss away money - they almost always win. Big rebates, big cash back, "two for one deals"...anything that sounds too good to be true is. They (most) will try and wear you down with numbers so keep an eye on financing, gap/disability coverage (better of getting it through a bank), and extended warranties (again, wait and shop elsewhere).

Your car (clean and appearing relatively stock) would most likely wholesale in the current market at auction for around $17K give or take. Again, this is approximate fair market value for the car, not necessarily what they will give you. They could offer you $20K to make the deal sound good and make the $3K up on the back end of the deal. This is why there arent too many dealers out there willing to cut checks for trade ins without the obligation of purchasing another vehicle from them.

Like I said just keep an eye on the big picture and you should be ok. View your trade in's value and the terms of the new purchase as two seperate transactions. Cant stress that enough. I'm not sure what the 04's are bringing new but I've seen very lightly used (less than 10K miles) for high $20K's in the retail dealer market. Good luck, you'll love the car.

So good deal?

Going to hurt for a bit but basketball season is starting soon so I should be able to get some more OT at work...or I better, lol. Here in another month I will take the driving insurance off it and store it I think so that will help on insurance for a while too.