2004 Gt Cams?

Max Moore

Aug 21, 2016
Hi guys first post on here. I have a 2004 mustang gt 4.6 and I've got most of the bolt ons I want aside from headers and I'm hopefully going to get some 3:73's in it soon or 4:10's. But I found a deal on some stage 4 comp cams with the valve springs and retainers. He never used them because he sold his 03 GT before he could install them and he's charging $500 for the cams springs and retainers which is almost $900 value. I really don't want to pass up on this deal and want to get a big gain in power but is stage 4 too much for a daily? Obviously I wouldnt install them right away but it'd be nice to have for the future. If anyone could give me some advice that'd be great

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to stangnet.

I'll move your thread over to the '96-'04 tech section. You'll get some help there.

I'm a pushrod junkie, so no words of wisdom here from me.

Good to have you with us.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know what specific Comp part numbers are involved here? "Stage 4" isn't in their catalog :/

You'll want to make sure the cams are for PI headed engines. For an aggressive cam you might want to check for PTV before spinning the engine with these cams installed.

You're going to want a tune with those. They'll have a lumpy idle and you might lose some low RPM torque but gain some at the top. They'd work well with more aggressive gears in the back and would likely love some port work in the heads (or TFS Twisted Wedge heads...)

Add the cost of installing them ($400+) and the cost of a dyno tune ($400+.... assuming you already have a tuner) and you could be near $1,500 for 20-30 rwhp with a possible loss of down low power / loss of drivability.

If you are looking for more power- modulars really like boost. $1,500 is a good chunk of the way to a supercharger kit that could get you a 100rwhp+ gain. I'd pass on the cams.

Reactions: 1 user