2004 GT gears

virgin04GT

Jul 15, 2004
Indiana
I wondered if anyone would know what the stock gear ratio is for an 04 5 speed. I want to get 3.55's installed since i travel the highway alot, but still want that extra giddyupp. I was wondering if anyone thinks that this would be a decent upgrade. Also, how much would this take off of my top end?? thanks.

obviously i'm new to this,any help would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

Do you travel the high way at speeds over 120 mph often? If not you should get at least 3:73's. I have 4:10's in my car and was able to drive from CA to NY without any problems. Fuel economy was fine too: I got 24-25 mpg cross country. I believe 80mph is around 2800 RPMs with the 4:10's. Also, in case you are wondering, the fastest I have gone with the 4:10's is around 134 Mph (could have gone faster, but things started to move awfully quick as I approached 140 Mph. The car would have definately pulled all the way to 150 Mph though), which I dont even think a stock geared GT could do. It would take forever for a stock GT with 3:27's to get to that speed (If it could even do it)

gears

I would def. step up to a 3.73 you will see a difference then. A small jump from a 3.27 to a 3.55 won't give you a big difference. Yea gas milage is no issue I have 3.55 and my buddy has 3.73 and we pull almost the same milage

don't bother wasting money on 3.55's because these cars are way too heavy for that gear to even make a difference. I had them in my 94 and after a week wished I did the 373's. I just had 373's installed in my 04GT and they are a great gear. I do city and highway mileage and they are a great compromise for both.