2004 mustang e.t's

Mustang1982

Dec 23, 2003
Hey just joined your site. Got a few questions. I've been a chevy guy my whole life now it's time to switch. I have to choices im thinking about. My first choice is the lightning, but i have the gt mustang brewing in my head. I just love the look and the sound, now is it hard or should i say (expensive) to get that car in the high 12's. Thats all i care about for right now. Took one for a ride at the local dealership its fast but not fast enough. I figured this would be the perfect site to help me with this question.

Thanks

Brian

• Sponsors (?)

Mustang1982 said:
Hey just joined your site. Got a few questions. I've been a chevy guy my whole life now it's time to switch. I have to choices im thinking about. My first choice is the lightning, but i have the gt mustang brewing in my head. I just love the look and the sound, now is it hard or should i say (expensive) to get that car in the high 12's. Thats all i care about for right now. Took one for a ride at the local dealership its fast but not fast enough. I figured this would be the perfect site to help me with this question.

Thanks

Brian

well, high 12's can be done Naturally Aspirated but it will take a bit of work. My suggestion is a supercharger. Mustangs respond extremely well to these things. I know a guy with 3.73's and a Procharger running mid to low 11's...i forget which it is...

The Lightning is a limited edition model, it's faster than the Mustang, at least the GTs, its cost is higher, but not much, and if you check with your insurance co, it might be cheaper to insure.

The Lightning is about the only vehicle I'd actually be willing to trade my Mustang in for, but it'd come with the wife delete mod. :D

Chiara said:
The Lightning is a limited edition model, it's faster than the Mustang, at least the GTs, its cost is higher, but not much, and if you check with your insurance co, it might be cheaper to insure.

The Lightning is about the only vehicle I'd actually be willing to trade my Mustang in for, but it'd come with the wife delete mod. :D

lol wife delete mod.... nicely put

Mustang1982 said:

Thanks

Brian

Not sure if they still have incentives on the MACH1 but they were going for 24/25k here for the 04s a few weeks ago. 5sp MACH1 Mods, Gears and sticky tires =s high 12s
That’s the best Deal IMO.

Wayne S said:
Not sure if they still have incentives on the MACH1 but they were going for 24/25k here for the 04s a few weeks ago. 5sp MACH1 Mods, Gears and sticky tires =s high 12s

I've really been debating that myself. If my car isn't running 12's after this coming season, time to trade her in on a Mach! :nice:

Wayne S said:

Don't the Mach's come with 3.55's from the factory? Is it really worth it to swap? Like, how much faster could it be?

BO94ZA4 said:
I have seen a few M1's w/ 4.30's that haul.

Lightnings are very awesome...but id get the GT for about 20k driveout and put the extra 8-10k you would spend on a lightning on a Kenne Bell supercharger and some drag radials and skip right to the high 11's :D

kirkyg

Yes, equal money spent the GT is the best way to go at first. I was just replying about the M1 gear swap. The main thing about buying a GT and puttin' a KB on is that the Cobra has a excellent bottom end where the GT will not last long driven hard.

I know of a guy here in houston that has a mach...went 12.40's, only mods were 4.10's and a K&N filter. :)
Go with the GT or the Mach(depending on price, of course)...Lightnings really aren't that fast out of the box... mid 13's on average, maybe half a sec quicker than the much much cheaper GT.

If it is going to be your only transportation then go with the Lightning. That way you will still be able to put a sheet a plywood in the back. Try that with your mustang...LOL. I agree with everyone else though, for equal money the mustang will rip the L a new hole.

Mustang1982 said:

Thanks

Brian
I'm just like you and jumped out. From what I've seen, go with a KB with a conservative tune. Maybe change the stock gears. the reason why I say this is because somebody here ran low 12s with the KB and the stock gears.