2004 SRT-4 vs. 93 5.0 Mustang

ching, ching, here's my two cents...

First of all, I woldn't belive too much of what C&D rates. They are pretty inaccurate. They tend to be baised as well.

The newer body style Noen's are a big step up in quality over the older style. Still a POS in my opinion, but better. Schlodes said the knob fell off, well give it a few years. Chrysler products are known for selling the best bang for the buck cars on the road, but just don't hold thier integrity, and in a short time loose thier qualities. I think they would be fun for a dialy driver on a lease, but I wouldn't own one.

I have a really hard time beliving the stock 1.85 60ft, especailly on a FWD turbo 4 cylinder. There is no way unless using slicks or something really sticky, and if it did hook the RPM's would die down too low to get it to the 60ft line, but I guess it is possible. For turbo guys, they say stock even thought he boost is bumped up.

I raced a new SRT-4 on the highway, he had exaust and who knows what else. He came from behind and tried to blow bye me, and I was at the bottom of third at 65mph but I hit it and matched the Noen's speed then I was at the middle of third and we were neck and neck then for a second the neon inched forward about 4 inches, then the noen changed gears and fell back a little, then I went into fourth and started walking away slowly. What was funny was watching this S2K trying to get in the action but wasn't even able to hang.

• Sponsors (?)

Neons are a lot easier and more comfortable than a mustang. I dont understand you saying you can hardly get out of one.. But anyways, I like the SRT's. I wanna see those vids... i may be able to host them for everyone else for a day or two

Stump1000 said:
Neons are a lot easier and more comfortable than a mustang. I dont understand you saying you can hardly get out of one.. But anyways, I like the SRT's. I wanna see those vids... i may be able to host them for everyone else for a day or two

I'm 6', 175 lbs. and I'm serious, I had a hard time getting in and out of the car. The interior is way to small for someone like me. The car's owner is 5'5" I'd say and she has no problem getting in it. If fact she has the seat about 3/4 foward, with seat leaning back. I moved the seat all the way back and then got in it, and that was even a hassle. Getting out really, really sucked. I even tilted the steering wheel up to get out lol

My Mustang is easier to get in and out of, and it seems to have more room. With it being a stick though, the pedals are almost to close together for me. Shifting correctly is hard for me, I use the clutch to hold the car for a brief second if I'm on a hill. Other than that, I don't really have a problem with a Mustang's interior. But don't think because I have a hard time getting in and out of a Neon doesn't mean I don't like them.

"Have you seen the new Saab-aru?"

Yes, funny how a company that's been making turbo motors for years had to resort to using another companies design to booster sales.

"I'll be REAL surprised if the Legacy comes in that light; it's based on the same floorpan/driveline as the Forrester and the Outback. "

That's what I thought but I based this after what been written so far. 2004 models are running 3350-3400 lbs. I'm just glad that they're using the 2.5L motor and not the 2.0L one like in the WRX, still pondering that one. I also have my fingers my crossed that at some point they add a turbo to their 6cyl motor.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~1amiga/2.5gt.htm :cool:

Michael Yount said:
It's interesting -- for years the 'experts' said that it was impossible for humans to run quicker than a 4 minute mile. Then Roger Bannister broke the 4 minute mile, and they said that, uh, 3:50 was the limit. That's come and gone too. Similarly, it wasn't that long ago that the 'experts' said that a car couldn't cover the quarter any quicker than 6 seconds, and then after someone went 5's and later into the 4's, well, you get the picture. The world is full of people that simply look at the past and their own limited experience, and then extrapolate that to erroneously conclude other things. For example, to paraphrase powershift351 - "The best I have seen is a 13.7......so I know they will not run a 13.2..." I find that to be very interesting logic.

You should think before you type. Yes I personally watched 12 or 13 SRT's at carlsbad 1/4 run mostly high 14's in perfect conditions. The best ever in a 2004 ran was a 13.7, and I know the driver, and he drives it like he stole it. And he had drag radials on it, so 13.2 is not possible with John F. driving it. If car and driver and road and track's professional drivers are running 14's in prime weather, then how could some guys kid run a 13.2 on a completely stock SRT. You need to check your facts before you open your suck. :bs:

powershift351 said:
Well we are talking science and proven numbers over thousands of professional tests. Not slack jaw logic coming from you. Take your Volvo driving a**, and go to a pta meeting or something.

Hey kid...I don't know what your problems is but you need to shut the f**k up and show some respect to people here especially a person like Michael Yount who is always the first to help with the more than the obvious problems...Seeing how you are a nooB on this site you have no idea who you are talking to...and acting like a hard on with your bias views will only propel the hatred people will develop towards you resulting in NO help from the members of stangnet once you fall off your high horse and meet reality face on... :nonono:

A local import shop Employee owns a 2003 srt 4 with under 2,000 in mods and i have seen it run 12.8 at the track. I can't remember if he has slicks dr for sure. I will find out the details if he is there on saturday or sunday.

everyone also has to remember about those freak cars that just come faster from the factory. you cant tell me you havnt ever felt one stock car vs the same thing and one was compleatly diffrent. ? maybe mr. yount has one of the freak srt that just pulls harder than the average. also that one guy that drove one and the shifter nob broke, he said it felt like a low 15 or high 14 there right there proves they arnt gona all be exactly the same.

powershift351 said:
Well we are talking science and proven numbers over thousands of professional tests. Not slack jaw logic coming from you. Take your Volvo driving a**, and go to a pta meeting or something.

:rlaugh: I am not flaming mr. Young but Powershift brings up very good points.....Honestly how can people run 14's all day (even Car and Driver) and some kid without sticky tires run a 1.8 short time and 13.2 ..... :bs:

CivicEater said:
:rlaugh: I am not flaming mr. Young but Powershift brings up very good points.....Honestly how can people run 14's all day (even Car and Driver) and some kid without sticky tires run a 1.8 short time and 13.2 ..... :bs:

As far as we know here the kid could have had the boost turned up...it doesn't require anything else on the car...If I'm not mistaken there are several stages for the neons which basically may seem like nothing special in our eyes but every little thing helps...so his definition of stock differs from ours...

Well a boost controller (Jacking up boost) doesnt qualify as stock in my book and I belive that the gentleman who posted should have either mentioned it or implied it may not be stock.....I think almost everyone would have not been so doubtful if that was done.

Highbredcloud said:
Hey kid...I don't know what your problems is but you need to shut the f**k up and show some respect to people here especially a person like Michael Yount who is always the first to help with the more than the obvious problems...Seeing how you are a nooB on this site you have no idea who you are talking to...and acting like a hard on with your bias views will only propel the hatred people will develop towards you resulting in NO help from the members of stangnet once you fall off your high horse and meet reality face on... :nonono:

get off Micheal's junk, wipe your mouth off and mind your business, I have been on this site for over a year. I left country for a while and came back to no account. So shut your face. Facts are facts and a bone stock SRT neon will not run a 13.2.

powershift351 said:
get off Micheal's junk, wipe your mouth off and mind your business, I have been on this site for over a year. I left country for a while and came back to no account. So shut your face. Facts are facts and a bone stock SRT nean will not run a 13.2.

Holy Hell Batman! We have an internet warrior on Stangnet! Congratulations you are now on my ignore list...STROKE! BTW: What are the facts written in stone you speak of? As I recolect the test of the 03 Cobra in C&D was something along the lines of low 13's...OR did you miss that issues? YET people have gotten the 03's into high 12's stock...Could this MAYBE relate to the SRT-4? Possibly...BUT WAIT...Car and Driver NEVER makes mistakes and IS NEVER biased towards perticular car manufacturers... :nonono:

CivicEater said:
Well a boost controller (Jacking up boost) doesnt qualify as stock in my book and I belive that the gentleman who posted should have either mentioned it or implied it may not be stock.....I think almost everyone would have not been so doubtful if that was done.

Exactly...in your book...SO let me ask you is bumping the timing up, removing the air silencer, and running a shorter belt and by passing the A/C as well as the SMOG equiptment a mod? :rolleyes:

I just got back from the track. There was about 10 SRT-4's All but 2 of them were running mid to low 14's. The other 2 were sponsored cars, one even had a big sticker that said it was the 12th fastest SRT-4 in the world... he was running 13.4's-13.2's all night. I raced one of them. he had a 2.2 60' with a 14.7 @ 98.36MPH... he thought his car was HOT $HIT before we raced.:nice:

Highbredcloud said:
Exactly...in your book...SO let me ask you is bumping the timing up, removing the air silencer, and running a shorter belt and by passing the A/C as well as the SMOG equiptment a mod? :rolleyes:

WELL deek, since u want to get beligerant about it, I think that Uping the boost is alot different than removing the air silencer.....And not only would this be my book but I am sure I can find dozens of Stangers to agree...... :chair: Either way I think that the above mods would not be "bone stock" ....and if you think that uping the boost qualifys as "bone stock" than thats your issue.
And Car and Driver putting 13.2 and people saying they run High 12's would be simlar to saying that SRT4's run low 14's (IE C & D) and people saying they run High 13's which is a mile away from 13.2
Thank you and good night