2004 SRT-4 vs. 93 5.0 Mustang

mod = short for "modification" = any changes that are not stock. A performance mod would be any change in the setup which would effect it's performance. I don't consider deletes and bypasses actual mods, because the engine performs the same, but more power is diverted to the wheels or there is less weight increasing the hp:lbs ratio. Although air silencer delete alowing more air to the engine would be a mod, just because it is free, doesn't disclude it. Upping the boost, not that is definatly and alteration, which modifies the performance making it a definate mod.

Face it, the SRT-4 is a wicked car, capable of competing. Just because it isn't a V8 doen't mean it doesn't make power. Personally, I respect the car, it is founded the same way the Mustang was, but the Mustang has strayed badly. The idea behind the Mustang was simple, inexpensive, and fast. In the early '90's a LX Coupe 5.0 was only $13,000 now a V8 is double that price. I still wouldn't buy a Neon though.

• Sponsors (?)

CivicEater said:
WELL deek, since u want to get beligerant about it, I think that Uping the boost is alot different than removing the air silencer.....And not only would this be my book but I am sure I can find dozens of Stangers to agree...... :chair: Either way I think that the above mods would not be "bone stock" ....and if you think that uping the boost qualifys as "bone stock" than thats your issue.
And Car and Driver putting 13.2 and people saying they run High 12's would be simlar to saying that SRT4's run low 14's (IE C & D) and people saying they run High 13's which is a mile away from 13.2
Thank you and good night

Calm down...The point is I'm sure there are just as many "free mods" an SRT-4 as they are with the Mustang...Not sure if bumping up the boost requires anything in particular with those cars but I'm sure you can't tell just by looking at it how much boost it's pushing...So who knows for sure what you need to run the times the guy claimed his son ran...is it out of the question? definately not...since there are many people here on stangnet that claim their bone stock 5.0 run high 13's low 14's...when as according to tests done in various magazines back in the day those cars (5.0) run 15.0+...Get the point now... :flag:

Powershift351: Chill out Sport, no need to get all out of shape over a simple disagreement. I don't think a stock from the showroom SRT-4 has a chance to run 13.2 but then again Michael Yount know's his stuff, you might need his advise.

wow, when i said i would give you flame material, i didnt think it would turn into this mess! jeez! stop bickering, the fact is there are biased about different cars, everyone has a different outlook, some over exagerate things why others make things sound worse than what they are.

powershift351 said:
get off Micheal's junk, wipe your mouth off and mind your business, I have been on this site for over a year. I left country for a while and came back to no account. So shut your face. Facts are facts and a bone stock SRT neon will not run a 13.2.

A pseudo-veteran noob trying to pull rank, now thats comedy! If you left and came back with no account, then you werent a member for even a year now, were you?

What was this thread about before people got bent out of shape over meaningless mere opinions? Thats right, if an SRT-4 could take a 93 5.0. I'm gong to base my assumption on comparing two "stock" vehicles. My definition of "stock" being "As they were when they rolled off the assembly line, ie no modifications that would change the performance of the car in any way." That being said, the Neon would probably give the 'Stang a run. Its like a Honda, the same car can run a low 15 or a high 13 with only a driver change.

But the real question is: Can you polish a turd? I would not pay $21k for a neon or any other dodge product I don't care how fast it is, the build quality is garbage, and they fall apart after a few years. You can aruge all you want but it comes down to the mustang just being an all around better car. That is why we love mustangs. You could get nice fox for about $6k that a $15k difference, and while the guy in the neon is making payments and paying higher insurance rates, and tags, your saving for a supercharger. You just have to look at the big picture.

NO_RICE said:
But the real question is: Can you polish a turd? I would not pay $21k for a neon or any other dodge product I don't care how fast it is, the build quality is garbage, and they fall apart after a few years. You can aruge all you want but it comes down to the mustang just being an all around better car. That is why we love mustangs. You could get nice fox for about $6k that a $15k difference, and while the guy in the neon is making payments and paying higher insurance rates, and tags, your saving for a supercharger. You just have to look at the big picture.

From my understanding those little bastards have some strong internals...or so I read...I agree with you I would never spend money on a new car but that's just it...it's a NEW car...and a fox body Mustang is getter more rare by the minute and the prices keep going up...for $21K for a NEW car the SRT-4 is probably the fastest car you can buy...You keep mentioning quality...we're not exactly known for driving a quality built autombiles ourselves...if that was true the Mustang would not be called a poor man's sprorts car... :D Even though if I was rich I would still not spend my money on anything else than a Mustang...that's my love for the car...but anyways...The SRT-4 puts down 235RWHP+ in stock form...that's pretty impressive...that is just as much as a current Mustang GT for $4K less...I'm not into the import scene but I give respect where respect is due... :flag: I don't know why people have such hard time believing in the car's overall performance...I guarantee you guys that if a question regarding the 1/4 times of a Mustang that made 235RWHP...most of you would say with a good driver mid 13's are possible...If I'm not mistaken the SRT-4 should be close if not lighter than the Fox body Mustang...I could be wrong here...

I'm not talking strictly about the motor when I mention quality, I don't doubt that they have strong internals. Im talking about everything besides the motor, I see a lot of older (later 90s to current) neons and everything about those cars is falling apart. Im not saying the mustang is perfect, but there are plenty of stangs out there with well over 150,000 miles on them that look nice and drive even better than they did when they were new, I wouldn't even consider driving a neon with over 150K on it.

NO_RICE said:
I'm not talking strictly about the motor when I mention quality, I don't doubt that they have strong internals. Im talking about everything besides the motor, I see a lot of older (later 90s to current) neons and everything about those cars is falling apart. Im not saying the mustang is perfect, but there are plenty of stangs out there with well over 150,000 miles on them that look nice and drive even better than they did when they were new, I wouldn't even consider driving a neon with over 150K on it.

Look man...besides having the body of a neon...the engine is totally different from your average neon...that I am sure of...time will tell how dependable the SRT-4's are...obviously if the stock turbo is capable of 27psi it must be pretty damn strong...(as according to SRT-4 forum)...some have gotten 500RWHP out of them...actually I think it has been posted here on stangnet...It all depends on how well you take car of the car...period...try not to be biased when you form your opinions...

well i think that a bone stock srt can not run 13.2 from what i have read and researched, if the boost was bumped up then it deffinatly could but then it is not stock anymore. and as for the 03 cobras being in high 12s stock i dont know about either, all they have to add is a pulley and then they would be there but its not stock anymore. but i think the srt might possibly beat the 93, i have seen videos of an srt racing a stock 94 gt. they raced 3 times, firsttime the gt won, second the srt won , not by much, 3rd time the srt won and by even less then the second. they were very close races and both cars were bone stock. so its hard to say if it will win or not, i think it depends alot on the driver and how "stock" the car really is.

i still want to see the videos that this thread started about.

what is the boost of the stock srt-4?
also remember dodge rated the hp like 20-30 lower then acctual dyno results. now i think that was awsome marketing. to rate a car lower than actual for once.

"Well we are talking science and proven numbers over thousands of professional tests. Not slack jaw logic coming from you. Take your Volvo driving a**, and go to a pta meeting or something."

Witty. You keep digging the hole deeper, no surprise.

SRT-4's can run 13.2's stock, it isn't common, but it is possible. New models have more hp, and it is possible that the driver micheal was talking about was possibly 100+ lbs less then those tank asses at C/D(.10 for every 100 lbs). No one ever factors driver weight into the equation. Plus, everyone knows automobiles can have over 1 second of time different stock vs. stock depending on many factors. C/D's 1/4 mile test is actually an average of 3 runs, and normally they do the run in conditions that are not ideal (high temperatures, or altitudes).

Now, for the comparison of a 93 mustang vs a 2003 srt-4. That is dumb. Yes newer cars have more hp, because the technology is new. The fact that a 93 mustang was based on a platform that was in initial design in the 1970's already puts it at a drawback.

The strength of the mustang is that it is both reliable, and modifyable. SRT-4's are MAXXED. Besides a few little mods, and cranking the boost up a bit (really kills the long term life of the car) there is not much else you can do to improve them. Whereas on a mustang, as you add new technology, and modify the block using current computer mapping you quickly exceed anything the SRT-4 can accomplish. Over 100k miles these turbo'd cars start having problems.

A mustang on 14lbs boost would be sick as well.

Another small fact everyone overlooks. I'd rather drive a goddamn MUSTANG then a neon, because at least I'd get respect from all sorts of crowds.

65ShelbyClone said:
A pseudo-veteran noob trying to pull rank, now thats comedy! If you left and came back with no account, then you werent a member for even a year now, were you?

What was this thread about before people got bent out of shape over meaningless mere opinions? Thats right, if an SRT-4 could take a 93 5.0. I'm gong to base my assumption on comparing two "stock" vehicles. My definition of "stcok" being "As they were when they rolled off the assembly line, ie no modifications that would change the performance of the car in any way." That being said, the Neon would probably give the 'Stang a run. Its like a Honda, the same car can run a low 15 or a high 13 with only a driver change.

Well, if you look at my old login "powershift8" you will see me there, but I can't login anymore, so once again shut the fat up. NO SRT-4 NEON WILL RUN A 13.2 STOCK. :bs:

UMDSmith said:
The strength of the mustang is that it is both reliable, and modifyable. SRT-4's are MAXXED. Besides a few little mods, and cranking the boost up a bit (really kills the long term life of the car) there is not much else you can do to improve them. Whereas on a mustang, as you add new technology, and modify the block using current computer mapping you quickly exceed anything the SRT-4 can accomplish. Over 100k miles these turbo'd cars start having problems.

I wouldn't say the car is MAXXED out because it is not...It is not running to it's full potential if you ask me...think about it...the stock boost on an SRT-4 is 13.5psi...The tubro can handle 27psi...Still think it's maxed out? If the turbo can handle that much psi what makes you think the engine won't? The quetion then arises for how long? and from MY research they do have quite the tough internals to make that happen...I think Dodge Finally decided to make something to improve their reputation...and it's working...I think time will only tell how reliable the enigne is...this really reminds me of the battle between 4.6L and the 5.0L...which one is more effeciant and reliable...when the new engine was introduced...

Highbredcloud said:
Look man...besides having the body of a neon...the engine is totally different from your average neon...that I am sure of...time will tell how dependable the SRT-4's are...obviously if the stock turbo is capable of 27psi it must be pretty damn strong...(as according to SRT-4 forum)...some have gotten 500RWHP out of them...actually I think it has been posted here on stangnet...It all depends on how well you take car of the car...period...try not to be biased when you form your opinions...

Why don't you try reading my post again before you start spouting off about stuff I don't care about, I "DON'T DOUBT" that they have strong internals. You need to back off my nuts, Im not biased, you aparently have trouble listening. :notnice:

NO_RICE said:
Why don't you try reading my post again before you start spouting off about stuff I don't care about, I "DON'T DOUBT" that they have strong internals. You need to back off my nuts, Im not biased, you aparently have trouble listening. :notnice:

WTF? are you PMSing? :shrug: There's no need for attitude...What exactly did I miss from your pervious statement? That everything is falling apart besides the engine? News flesh...if I showed you a list of the things I'm replacing on my current restoration project of my 91 LX you'd change your mind in a heart beat...BTW: to the untrained eye the car "looks" perfect...What you lack in your posts are description...to general to say stuff breaks...If you take care of a car...I assure you parts shouldn't break...