2005 GT Pre- Tuned?

SSnakeGT127

15 Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
VA
Hey everyone, I just recently bought a 05 mustang GT, basically stock except it came with a Steeda CAI / 90mm kit and Flowmasters axle backs.

What I'm trying to figure out is that, as far as I know this CAI kit thats on the car requires premuim octane plus a tune and also If I'm not mistaken come with the SCT tuner itself. otherwise it would definitely throw a code/ check engine light on.

But when I bought my car, it never came with a tuner nor threw a check engine light/code the entire time I had it and now. so I'm wondering is it possible that my car already has a preloaded 93 Tune installed? because prior to this I put 87 octane in the car due to the fact I didn't realize at that time my CAI required premuim fuel and also created noise at higher RPMs, so do you think my car already has a tune in it? any input would be appreciated. :)

• Sponsors (?)

Hey everyone, I just recently bought a 05 mustang GT, basically stock except it came with a Steeda CAI / 90mm kit and Flowmasters axle backs.

What I'm trying to figure out is that, as far as I know this CAI kit thats on the car requires premuim octane plus a tune and also If I'm not mistaken come with the SCT tuner itself. otherwise it would definitely throw a code/ check engine light on.

But when I bought my car, it never came with a tuner nor threw a check engine light/code the entire time I had it and now. so I'm wondering is it possible that my car already has a preloaded 93 Tune installed? because prior to this I put 87 octane in the car due to the fact I didn't realize at that time my CAI required premuim fuel, so do you think my car already has a tune in it? any input would be appreciated. :)

couldn't you just ask the person you bought the car off of? :shrug:

-James

Well thats kinda the thing I didn't get this car from a private seller, I bought this car at a ford dealership, so I wouldn't really know who to go to about that. (sorry If I didn't mention that).

I just wondering that If my car came with a CAI, the one that requires a tune, when I first bought it but never has it threw a code since I had it, could that mean it already has a tune installed? (mind you I still don't have a tuner yet for it and never was their one apart of the car when I bought it).

I would highly recommend that you have the dealership contact the original owner, and get both the tuner along with the stock airbox.

If in the event the original owner no longer has the tuner, I would then contact either Bamachip's or Brenspeed, and purchase an SCT X-CAL II programmer with their custom mail order tunes for your Steeda 90mm CAI. just in case you encounter a problem down the road with trouble codes.

I also don't mean to sound like a wiseass, but why in the world would you purchase a used car from a dealership, without the original parts and especially the tuner for the CAI prior to buying it :shrug:

Maybe it's just me, but I'd want to make absolutely certain that all the stock parts were included along with the tuner for the cold air intake before purchasing the vehicle.

Being as you haven't experienced any trouble codes at this time. I'm going to assume that your car still has the premium tunes in place for your Steeda CAI. However I would still demand from the dealership that you want the stock airbox, and SCT tuner from the original owner for your own piece of mind !

easy guys, not everyone realizes all the small details when purchasing a car. its easy to overlook the tuner when you have a huge :D on your face while test driving these cars.

I recommend buying a tuner from one of the big names. i would also ask the dealer to install a factory tune in the car, so that when you get the new tuner, you can upload the stock tune. I would do this even if you never plan to go back to stock. this way, just in case you have your butt covered. the dealer is more likely to give you the free stock tune now than they are a year down the line.

I would advise what bigcat says. Some people trade in their cars modified, and the dealers does not care if its not back to stock. Some places will do it, others will not. But you can get the info from the dealer for the previous owner and they should have the info.

I have always kept my original gear after a upgrade...you never know...

Hell I still have the airbox from my old 97 vert...may she rest in peace now.

Totally agree with the others regarding getting a tuner. It's an extremely flexible tool that allows you to install different octane tunes, troubleshoot CEL's, adjust for non-stock options(differential ratios, tire diameters), perform data logging, etc.

In the meantime, it appears that a modded tune is installed for the Steeda CAI if there have been no CEL's, and that the tune is designed for higher than 87 octane if the engine makes noises(pings) at higher rpm's when using 87.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'm getting the tuner no doubt, thats a big necessity for these cars, I should have got it sooner when I first bought the car, but you live and learn. and also its kinda hard to buy a brand new GT when your only 19 but I tried :D

And the dealership as right by where I work at so I'm really sure I can get them to installed the factory tune incase of anything happens. but the SCT X2 CAL II is what I'm getting for future mods. :)