Electrical 2005 Gt Speedometer Failure

Discussion in '2005 - 2009 Specific Tech' started by Invective, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Invective

Invective New Member

I drove my car home from work last night and noticed the speedo wasn't working - sitting on zero. Needle bumps slightly when car is first started but does nothing else. Everything else works, including the odo and cruise control; car has 14k original miles. Original battery was replaced recently; car sits for about a month at a time not being driven due to employment.

I apologize if there are existing threads concerning this as my search terms didn't bring up anything worthwhile. Car has been trouble free otherwise with the exception of some interior bits: sagging headliner and leatherette type material on passenger door is slowly coming loose.
  2. timjimmy

timjimmy Active Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    It could be either the speedometer sender, the gauge motor, or a short in the wiring harness.
  3. timjimmy

timjimmy Active Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    If the needle doesn't dip down below 0 MPH upon startup, it's more than likely the gauge motor.
  4. Invective

Invective New Member

Gauge Cluster was 'overhauled' this week by mail with a shop in Tennessee who also provided a lifetime warranty. Gauge cluster reinstalled this past friday; everything working properly. Received a quote of $120 per door to reinstall leatherette material peeling away from door panels.
  5. timjimmy

timjimmy Active Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Sounds like that was your problem! That's not a bad price but I'd look around a bit. I think you could find something a little more reasonable than that.
  6. Invective

Invective New Member

New leatherette material was installed on the door panels recently by a local automotive upholstery shop for $220.