2005 Headlight and Taillight Technology

Discussion in '2005 - 2009 Specific Tech' started by 2005Eleanor, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Goat1981

Founding Member

How hard could it be to remember? rapid flashing = hard braking. solid = normal braking. A standard could be set at more than 75% braking power = rapidly flashing lights. :shrug: I don't know. It's just an idea.

2. SVTdriver

Founding Member

Ok see there I think your missing what I'm saying. Say BMW has them flash underhard braking. But Chevy has them glow brighter. The other hard part about flashing is if one sidew goes out. It only looks like your turning.

3. Goat1981

Founding Member

That's where LED's come into play. This couldn't be done with normal incadescent lights because the time of light onset is too great. If LED's are used, the brightness can be standardizaed. Also, very rapid flashing (much faster than turn signal flashing) could be used as a warning. Finally, LEDs have a very long life. Moreover, many would be used in one brake light cluster as opposed to one bulb in incadescent brake lights. Hence, they could not all burn out at once.

4. SVTdriver

Founding Member

Agreed LED's would have to be used. The problem is that I honestly don't foresee LED's becoming a standard on a mustang or very many other cars. For about another 3-5 years. Yes there are cars that have them. But most that do are fairly upscale cars (caddy/BMW type). Which helps to dilute the current cost that LED's have.

5. Goat1981

Founding Member

True. This idea would only work if all cars used LED's; and you're right. That won't be for a few years atlest.

6. SVTdriver

Founding Member

I do however see it happeing one day.

7. SnkBtn99

SnkBtn99 New Member

The general driver in public is not going to sit there and assimilate the brightness of your taillights or whether they are flashing or not. You think Miss Suzie Q talking on her cell phone gives a damn about your brakes lights? To my comment "they are either on or off". If the red lights on the back of a vehicle are illuminated red that means that driver is applying the brakes. No one is going to sit there and say to themself " gee .. their brake lights are only illuminted a little bit, or not flashing, I don't need to brake nealry as hard".

Bottom line, it comes down to paying attention to your driving surroundings. If you are aware, you can avoid most problems. I do say most. There are times when you come up on traffic and it stops suddenly. Flashing or not brake lights aren't going to mean a hill of beans in this case.

Also, right now I can change my brake light bulbs for less than $1 if I need to. Never had to on any of my cars. How much would an LED system cost to replace if it ever failed? I bet a lot more than the cost of my bulbs.

8. WaltA

Founding Member

Instead of brake lights changing intensity, I think a better solution would be something more active.

I would think that something better would be something which measures how fast you are closing in onto the vehicle in front of you. It would calculate how much stopping distance you need given how hard you are pressing the brake pedal, and match that against how much distance you have left between you and the vehicle in front.

If there isn't enough space, it would warn you to press down on the brake harder (or do it for you?).

If you are already pressing the brake pedal as hard as possible, it would then configure your car for a collision. For example, tighten up any slack in any seat belts, arm the air bags based on projected impact force, raise head rests and seat backs, etc.

9. SVTdriver

Founding Member

You can bet that system will be available one day. It would probably be part of a navigation system upgrade.

10. Goat1981

Founding Member

Yeah, that is a much better solution. I think I've heard of things like that coming into being in the near future. :nice:

11. SnkBtn99

SnkBtn99 New Member

No doubt about it .... great idea .... Something on the line of the reverse sensing systems on SUVs. One of the best options to come along in a while.

12. 30AnnivStang

Founding Member

my store sells LED flashlights that have 4 levels of brightness, all running off of a 9volt battery.