2005 mustang nose on classic mustang - has it been done?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 65 so that is why I was interested in it. Very good first try Pakrat. doesn't look quite like I thought it would but I think shorting the valance up and completing the wheel arch in the front would do wonders for it.

Yeah I did it as a quicke just for a look see with no finishing touches but no matter what angle I try the headlights and grill just don't work right, they come out flat looking like a Pinto or Mustang II and do nothing for the classic lines.

Just the lower valance works much better though. With enough work and fibergalss you could probably remove some of the middle section from a real one and make it work this way.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 65-05A.jpg
    65-05A.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 334
You know, that doesn't look half bad, although I would lose the rear wing and make the front chin a little more conservative. 99-04 GT's are dirt cheap right now. That would be a neat body kit. Somebody call Cervini and get this one on the market!

I agree, I only chose the Cobra model to chop because it was the first one I saw at the same angle of the 69 nose I was using.

I remember a S197 with classic fenders, doors, quarters in one of the magazines last year. Cant remember which issue though. I believe it was in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords. Absolutely incredible..

This I understand -- taking a great modern car and giving it the looks of a classic.

But why do so many people want to turn that around? They want an old Mustang that doesn't look like an old Mustang, has an entirely modernized interior that doesn't look like the classic's, modern drivetrain, modern suspension & brakes, modern steering, and on and on and on...

At this point you've spent a TON of dough and have all of the trappings of a new Mustang attached to a weak, inferior structure.

So why not just get an S197 and mod it? :shrug:

This I understand -- taking a great modern car and giving it the looks of a classic.

But why do so many people want to turn that around? They want an old Mustang that doesn't look like an old Mustang, has an entirely modernized interior that doesn't look like the classics's, modern drivetrain, modern suspension & brakes, modern steering, and on and on and on...

At this point you've spent a TON of dough and have all of the trappings of a new Mustang attached to a weak, inferior structure.

So why not just get an S197 and mod it? :shrug:

Okay I'll bite on this hook.

I can think of quite a few safer, faster, better handling, and just plain better cars than the Mustang. However, I cannot think of a car that is more fun. I would even argue that some of the reasons that the Mustang is so much fun is precisely because it is not the fastest, safest or best handling car on the road. That is where the owner gets his chance to play automobile designer. I know in my own build I am planning on making quite a few "upgrades" to the brakes, suspension, gas tank, engine, and interior, and those things, because they are so outdated by today's standards, are what make this more like re-engineering a car than modding a car.

I have owned a SN-95, and I currently own a S-197. People mod these all the time, but to me it just isn't the same. On my s-197 I thought about trying to trim the front bumper, give the rear quarters "hips" and fixing the funky lines of the truck and rear bumper, but then reality hit me. I probably will trade the thing in a few years from now, and if I did all that I would ruin the trade in value. I don't ever plan on getting rid of my 66, so I am free to change what I like.

My $.02

Okay I'll bite on this hook.

I can think of quite a few safer, faster, better handling, and just plain better cars than the Mustang. However, I cannot think of a car that is more fun. I would even argue that some of the reasons that the Mustang is so much fun is precisely because it is not the fastest, safest or best handling car on the road. That is where the owner gets his chance to play automobile designer. I know in my own build I am planning on making quite a few "upgrades" to the brakes, suspension, gas tank, engine, and interior, and those things, because they are so outdated by today's standards, are what make this more like re-engineering a car than modding a car.

I have owned a SN-95, and I currently own a S-197. People mod these all the time, but to me it just isn't the same. On my s-197 I thought about trying to trim the front bumper, give the rear quarters "hips" and fixing the funky lines of the truck and rear bumper, but then reality hit me. I probably will trade the thing in a few years from now, and if I did all that I would ruin the trade in value. I don't ever plan on getting rid of my 66, so I am free to change what I like.

My $.02
Believe me brother, I'm with you on all counts noted above. I have devoted this part of my life to it. Making a classic Mustang work like a new one is an amazing, worthy, and rewarding feat. My point was that if you make it look like a late-model on top of all that, internally and externally, where is the classic Mustang? It's just an S197 with a different unibody structure.

Agree. I'm not too fond of the restyling exercises that eliminate chrome bumpers and add a plastic valence to older cars. In my eyese, it just doesn't look quite right.

OTOH, I can't help but look at the '05-'08 Mustang and wonder what it would look like if you added some more classic influence like chrome bumpers front and rear, or a restyle to a 69-70 nose.

But the '05-'08 is already has a very classic influence. It's the SN95 that has the most potential, IMO, to add some more flair. Not just older sheetmetal added to the car, but a blend of old with some new. In a case like that, a '67-'70 Mustang or Shelby front end treatment, for example, might look really good with a modern interpretation of a lower valance.

That's what I love about this stuff....there's a lot of ways to inject art into the mechanics of it all.:)