2005 Mustang Seat Comfort

Stangston

Dec 28, 2003
I know the new Mustang seats have been mentioned briefly before, but I think it's worth discussing in more detail--haven't we had enough 20k V8? :D

Current situation: I'm over 6 feet tall, 175lbs (pretty normal), and after 5 years, I still look forward to driving my 99' GT everyday. However, the driver's seat feels awkward and unsupportive. I have the seat track all the way back and fairly reclined...to sit upright. I've noticed my head is nowhere near where the headrest is, so hopefully I never get in an accident. There's no lower back support, and at 20 y/o, I find my back hurting after longer rides. The power lumbar is not very helpful, and the seat just seems as if it was designed without the human body in mind. I'd also have to say that with age, the seats have become increasingly mushy and unsupportive, so maybe my view is biased.

When the 2005 production interior pictures were released, my eyes locked onto the eerily familar seats, leaving more to be desired from this "all-new" Mustang.

I'm looking at this picture now:

http://www.2005mustang.us/05/78.jpg

After more detailed inspection, there are some noticeable improvements that might just work. The headrests are large and angled forward, so maybe they'll actually match up with the head now. The top part of the seat protrudes, hopefully to offer more back support. The seat looks larger and more supportive of legs. Yet, the lower back region still looks to be lacking.

What's the point of this thread? I'd like this car to be as comfortable as it is fun to drive. I'm sure someone will respond with a "Mustangs aren't made to be comfortable; get a Cadillac if that concerns you." However, an uncomfortable seat is a glaring mistake that should be easily corrected in a complete redesign.

So, what are your thoughts about the new Mustang seats? More importantly, I know some people have had the opportunity to sit in the car. How comfortable is it, especially in comparison to our current cars?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm just under 6'1" and I never had much of an issue with the seats or seating position. My main concern is that they offer more lateral support. The new seats don't look terribly supportive but I won't pass judgment untill I try them on.

i agree with you concerning the GT seats. they are adequately comfortable, just not engineered well. Especially for us 6+ footers.I think ford sacrificed comfort for retro looks at the time. the new 2005 GT seats will be an improvement. better thigh support, head seemingly matches up with the headrest better, and better lateral support. I agree with you on the lower back, it doesn't look like there is any improvement there, but it really depends on the way the powered lumber works. In the current GT it feels like there is just a big balloon in there, hoprefully they redesigned it to more "mold" equally into the back instead of "resisting" it in the middle of the back so to speak. Also what I think will help is the steering wheel placement as well. It is much more centralized with the seat now. In the current GT, the Steering is very far left near the window which causes discomfort.

The new seats actually kinda of remind me of older BMW sport seats which is a good sign. I used to own a 1988 BMW 325is with leather sport seats and they were very functional.
BMW_front_seats_new.jpg

Stangston,
I thought I read someplace that the longer wheelbase allowed more room for you tall drivers. IIRC the author was about 6'4" and said the seats were comfortable for him. I hope that helps some...

btw...since you mentioned it "Mustangs aren't made to be comfortable; get a Cadillac if that concerns you." j/k! Being of short stature (5'7") has been a disadvantage during my life... when it comes to Mustangs, its good to be short!

I'm only 5'7" myself and the Fox-body seats (both V6 and GT) have never had enough lower back support for me either, IMHO. I sure hope that holler is right--the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in were in my '91 318is with sport seats (mine were perforated vinyl, though).

I just came back from the Toronto autoshow and had the opportunity to sit in the new Audi S4.

All I can say is "WOW". The seats in that car are perfect.

I know, I know, we're talking a much higher class/more expensive automobile here. I'm not saying that the new Mustang should have seats like this.

I guess my point is that if the new seats remind me of my current GT seats, I will be ripping them out. The S4 seats are Recaros, and I would be more than happy to spend the $$$ and put them in the new Mustang.

We'll have to see.

The WRX has pretty descent seats as well, talking about something more affordable. A car doesn't have to be mega expensive to have well designed seat bolsters.

Doesn't the SVT Cobra have Recaro's?

My wife's civic has better seats than my GT.... hell, we had an early 90s prelude that had better seats than my mustang. Maybe its just that the rice burners are made for smaller people so they can put in bolsters, but the stangs are made for... ummmm... horizontally gifted people so larger bolsters are not an option. Either way, I hope this is fixed in the 05. :)

You make a very good point!

One of the critical things I was looking for on the interior of the new Mustang were the seats. I am afraid the new seats will not have enough lumbar support for me from just looks alone (It is not really fair until I actually sit in the seat and adjust it in September). This is one of the first things that will wear you out on a long trip. I have an 03 Accord and I think the lumbar support is inadequate.

I would have to agree with Holler on the seat issue. I currently have a 635csi that has awesome back support. I can take a 10 hour drive and my back feels fine. If I drive in my Honda after three hours my back is killing me. The BMW's and Audi's, outside of price, do have the most supportive seats I have owned.

Question: It is my understanding that the dash has 125 different colors. Every picture I have seen only shows the instrument cluster. Do the lights for the stereo and A/C and the rest of the car change as well?

Thanks,

Michel

mmm635 said:
Question: It is my understanding that the dash has 125 different colors. Every picture I have seen only shows the instrument cluster. Do the lights for the stereo and A/C and the rest of the car change as well?

No, everything else stays green. Having a rainbow-brite-mobile is pretty tacky IMO.

Interior lighting

(&) said:
No, everything else stays green. Having a rainbow-brite-mobile is pretty tacky IMO.

I also don't agree with having a "rainbow-brite-mobile" environment.

It would make more sense and would be more aesthetically pleasing that if one changed the color to red, all of the lights would change to red. This would make it more homogeneous in the cockpit regardless of what color one chooses. I was not sure if the fiber optics were integrated throughout the whole cabin as well.

Michel

eric n said:
the new gto also has pretty nice seats.

I sat in the new GTO at the Chicago auto show, I am almost 5'10". I thought the seats in the GTO were crap. The support was just not there. the bolsters didn't even come CLOSE to "holding me in the seat", and they were like sitting on a board.

The problem is that everyone is different. They can do anything they want, and still not make everyone happy. Me personally, I hate lumbar, and never use it...I don't even know if the lumbar on my Flo-fits work -- but I love the seats.

On a lighter note, all the mag articles ( I know, the magazines don't know all either) said the seats in the new GT are a "Significant" improvement over the last.

Evil5oh said:
I sat in the new GTO at the Chicago auto show, I am almost 5'10". I thought the seats in the GTO were crap. The support was just not there. the bolsters didn't even come CLOSE to "holding me in the seat", and they were like sitting on a board.

I have read that the GTO seats are some of the best on the market. But like you said you can't make a seat that will make everyone happy.

As long as the @ss part has enough padding I'll be happy.

Ron Jeremy said:
I was driving in a 2002 Rolls Royce. If you want really nice seats, the Rolls Royce is the car to own. The seats are really comfortable and sporty. The BMW, Audi, and Mercedes and Lexus seats are nothing compared to the Rolls Royce seats.

BS. I don't believe for a second you were EVER driving/riding in a Rolls Royce.

I cannot believe the assanine stuff that comes out of your mouth, Ron. This post is the definition of worthless.

How old are you, 14?