2005 rear speakers

• Sponsors (?)

2005-2006 do not have to remove all panels to access the rear speakers, just pop the grill off. Getting a screwdrive back there to take them out is a pain, but assuming you amp the speakers, it's totally worth it.

Thanks for the info. The car has the Shaker 500 system. I am just looking for better speakers all around.
The Kicker KS680s are the lowest end thing I would even think about.

I was looking at the Shelby kit for the 8" in the doors. The kit isnt too bad if it will work. $150 for the kit or on ebay $75 each for the Kicker CVT 8" but I do not think they will run without the rest of the Shelby upgrades. I emailed Shelby about it and am waiting for an answer.

The factory speakers in the rear run at 15 watts a piece. They are super sensitive non-pressed paper cones. If you replace them without adding an external amp, they won't play as loud as the rest of the speakers. Also, if you replace the factory door 8" woofers, be careful. I've seen kits that say the just go right in, but when I replaced mine, it took a little bit of modification to keep it behind the factory grille. Also, adding any extra bass to the doors will make them rattle, so be prepared to sound deaden it, it took 5 layers per door for me, but I ran actual subwoofers, not midbass woofers.

The factory speakers in the rear run at 15 watts a piece. They are super sensitive non-pressed paper cones. If you replace them without adding an external amp, they won't play as loud as the rest of the speakers. Also, if you replace the factory door 8" woofers, be careful. I've seen kits that say the just go right in, but when I replaced mine, it took a little bit of modification to keep it behind the factory grille. Also, adding any extra bass to the doors will make them rattle, so be prepared to sound deaden it, it took 5 layers per door for me, but I ran actual subwoofers, not midbass woofers.

The speakers in the Shaker 500 are only running 15 watts each? what is that about? they get loud and don't sound too bad for stock. I know the 500 is peak but I would think that the system would have at least half of that RMS.

The Kicker KS680s are good even at lower power levels so they should be fine even if its only 15 watts to them.

I got a reply from Shelby about running their 8" sub upgrade without the amp and they have no clue. They are contacting Kicker to try and get my more information.
I asked if they have and directions that come with the kit that they can send me so I can look it over.

Worst case is I will just replace the four 6x8s and leave it at that.

The shaker500 is really only an amp that powers the two door woofers. I was so disappointed when I pulled out the stock 6x8s and they were paper and had "15 watts" stamped on the bottom... And with the kickers, I'm sure they will sound good, but if you want it to sound BETTER than stock OR to sound as good as they possibly can, you definitely want to amp them. I replaced everything in my shaker500 with Rockford Fosgate power series stuff and added two RF Power series 10s and it sounds amazing. Granted, I am running 2,800 watts RMS to everything, but even just a small amp should sound WAY better than just what the HU will do. These new mustangs have great imaging with the 6x8s high in the front doors, so either way you go, you'll love the results!

I thought about either a replacement head unit or a converter and amping everything. I have the amps and a pair of subs.
Got a pair of Kicker CompVR 10s that with a PG Octane R8.0.1 to drive them. I also have a PG Octane R8.0.4 for the 4 corners had it driving some Kicker KS 6x9s and 6.5s in an 86.

My nephew has only had the car a little over a week so I don't want to get to far into it yet.

thanks for the info.