2005+stang owners with the SCT hand held tuners...

mogs01gt

Founding Member
Jul 22, 2002
Ohio
I have a few questions. A friend of mine just purchased an 06 GT with JTL intake, Magnaflow exhaust with the catted X. The car came with a SCT handheld tuner. What are you guys setting your tune to? I didnt go to aggressive with it.

Here is what I did.
Leaned out the air/fuel by 4%
Increased pressure by 10% on 1-2, 2-3 shifts
increased pressure by 5% on 3-4
I increased the timing 1k-2k by 4
timing 3k-4k by 3
timing 5k-6k by 2

I know its not aggressive at all but I didnt want to screw anything up. Also, there is an option on the device that reads WOT shift 1-2, etc but the adjustments are in MPH. Anyone know what the heck that is? Cars runs great. Man those cars are heavy!

And the 06 GT's came with 3.55 gears stock correct? Also, there is a flip switch underneath the dash. The wires from the switch run into the cables underneath the dash. We have flipped it a few times but it doesnt do anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Mogs.

• Sponsors (?)

WOT = Wide Open Throttle.

If your car is an automatic I believe it is higher than 3:55, like 3:32 or something like that. There is a tag on the outside of your differential housing that will have the ratio on it if you are unsure.

lol I think I know what wide open throttle means. The question is why are the settings in MPH?

You mean lower? Like a 3.31? Never knew Ford used a a odd gear ratio like that. Most be a new diff for the 8.8.

Not sure what the WOT shift 1-2, etc is either (going to a speed shop/tuner tomorrow and can find out)... I have mine set for the full 25% in all gears with no problems. Unless you've gotten the car on the dyno to see where the A/F ratio is, I wouldn't adjust it. Timing, you can bump up as long as you don't hear detonation (pinging). The auto GT stock gear is the 3:31.

Does anyone have a list of what they tuned their car to?

We still havent figured out what this toggle switch does. It only has two wires that lead to underneath the dash. I already made sure it that it doesnt change the gauge color.

You can't tune the car using the SCT handheld. You can only adjust those user defined settings such as you listed. In order to tune the car, a competent tunes uses Advantage III software to write the tune. The tune is then loaded to the handheld and then to the car's PCM.
The user-defined setting are MINOR tweaks to those settings. When you tune with the Advantage software the shift points are set by RPM not MPH. The user-defined setting just let you manipulate a few things like fuel and spark and shift pressure and change revs and gear ratios.
If you want the car tuned for best performance you need to change the tune that is loaded on the car out with a custom or dyno tune.

You can't tune the car using the SCT handheld. You can only adjust those user defined settings such as you listed. In order to tune the car, a competent tunes uses Advantage III software to write the tune. The tune is then loaded to the handheld and then to the car's PCM.
The user-defined setting are MINOR tweaks to those settings. When you tune with the Advantage software the shift points are set by RPM not MPH. The user-defined setting just let you manipulate a few things like fuel and spark and shift pressure and change revs and gear ratios.
If you want the car tuned for best performance you need to change the tune that is loaded on the car out with a custom or dyno tune.
For WOT shift points, the increments are setup from 1-7 mph. There isnt anything there that shows RPM for the shift points. Obviously I havent touched those.

Yeah the toggle switch has us baffled. Its wired directly into the wire cluster underneath the dash. Hitting the switch does nothing. Im going to check to see if the switch is a fog light switch that allows the fog lights to run when the brights are still on.

We confirmed its not a "kill" switch.

I installed a toggle switch under my dash for my sub woofer/amp. I couldn't find a fuse that would power the amp on when turned on and off when turned off. So I installed a toggle switch inline the remote wire from the fuse box to the amp for independent control. Maybe that's what yours was for?
Posted via Mobile Device

For WOT shift points, the increments are setup from 1-7 mph. There isnt anything there that shows RPM for the shift points. Obviously I havent touched those.

With the auto, all you have to do is change your shift pressures and increase your rev limit in drive. I have mine all set to 25% and the rev limiter set to 6800 RPM. The tuner I talked to today said that was really all you need to change.

Don't mess with the WOT shift points unless you are planning to change the rear gears. You will need to find a rpm/speed calculator to determine where to set the shift points at.