2005 stock dyno numbers 279rwhp 300TQ

Mach428 said:
I love the new GT, so much so I considered selling my Mach to my Brother and buying the 05. Sorry, but it's not going to be very exciting when there's crap loads of them on the road

And this would have some sort of effect on you not enjoying an '05 how? :shrug:

I could care less if everyone on my block had one, even the same color, as long as I had the car I wanted. I'm not buying that... :D

• Sponsors (?)

351CJ said:
Not necessarily. In spite of the link someone provided that said top end HP is important to acceleration, HP is Torque over time. When you are trying to accelerate time is your enemy. The engine's ability to increase RPMs is extremely important, which goes back to why Torque is still more important than HP. Yea, HP is flat from 5,200 - 6,000 RPM, but a flat HP curve tells you that torque is decreasing which means the rate the engine can increase RPMs is decreasing. <--- that concept is important! This is why the 05 owners who are running their cars are telling us that the engine feels flat above 5,500 RPM.

Based on the air-flow characteristics of the 3V heads, all of this data tells me that there is room for significant improvement in the 05, 4.6 - 3V engine. Once the tuners (or owners) figure out exactly what is limiting the 3V's top end, watch out.

i respect the opinions you have about torque, but, knowing the torque that an engine produces, only tells you it's displacement, and nothing about the car acceleration unless you know the gear ratios and rear tire diameter.i don't understand why are you trying to separate the equation :)
people that say that engine torque is what accelerates a car, forgot about the gear ratios. rear tire force, not engine torque, is what accelerates the car, and rear tire force, is engine torque times all the gear ratios, and then modified for the rear tire diameter.

351CJ said:
Not necessarily. In spite of the link someone provided that said top end HP is important to acceleration, HP is Torque over time. When you are trying to accelerate time is your enemy. The engine's ability to increase RPMs is extremely important, which goes back to why Torque is still more important than HP. Yea, HP is flat from 5,200 - 6,000 RPM, but a flat HP curve tells you that torque is decreasing which means the rate the engine can increase RPMs is decreasing. <--- that concept is important! This is why the 05 owners who are running their cars are telling us that the engine feels flat above 5,500 RPM.

Based on the air-flow characteristics of the 3V heads, all of this data tells me that there is room for significant improvement in the 05, 4.6 - 3V engine. Once the tuners (or owners) figure out exactly what is limiting the 3V's top end, watch out.

Feeling flat doesn't mean your not still moving fast. You should rap a gear all the way out regardless of loss of torque as long as the next gear will not put you in a lower power range. In this case 1st gear all the way to redline is MUCH higher in hp than the 2nd gear.

kirkyg

RandyB said:
And this would have some sort of effect on you not enjoying an '05 how? :shrug:

I could care less if everyone on my block had one, even the same color, as long as I had the car I wanted. I'm not buying that... :D

I would still enjoy the 05 very much if I owned one, though i'd wait for an 06 or 07. I love the new stang..I stopped by a local dealership and looked at the new stang 5 times allready in the last week. The only thing that bothers me around where I live is the amount of Mustangs EVERYWHERE I go. Since I love mustangs I wanted something a little diffrent then what everyone else around me had. Its so cool having a car not alot of people see, they ask questions and often stare. It's just kinda an un-replaceable feeling to own my Mach. Well, there's gonna be an 05 in my family one way or another, cause If I don't buy one, my brother is...best of both worlds :p ..And I can't wait to see what sick special editions come from this GT

We just need to wait and see. I've never seen a car with the kind of HP claimed only do 99-102mph, AWD cars trap those speed with less HP at the wheels. This tells me it's traction and not engine JMO. As far as mags go, it's good when a cars are just coming out but trash after it's been out a couple of years when there's a track record. I'm sure many can put these cars deep into the 14's but that's not the cars fault. Only real drag racers need apply, the guy the takes his car to the track a few times isn't a good indicator of what any car can do.

I know what I've seen in person with the Mach's stock and modded and waiting on someone with slips and/or video making low 13's with the 05.
Do I hate it? NO, it's our future and my next car in 07 or 08 :shrug:

mach1dsg said:
i respect the opinions you have about torque, but, knowing the torque that an engine produces, only tells you it's displacement, and nothing about the car acceleration unless you know the gear ratios and rear tire diameter.i don't understand why are you trying to separate the equation :)
people that say that engine torque is what accelerates a car, forgot about the gear ratios. rear tire force, not engine torque, is what accelerates the car, and rear tire force, is engine torque times all the gear ratios, and then modified for the rear tire diameter.

:scratch: - :scratch: - :scratch:

I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to tell me, but I don't have a clue.

Torque does NOT tell you what the engine's displacement is.

99-04 GT engine 4.6L 302 lb ft
05 GT engine 4.6L 320 lb ft
03-04 Mach 1 engine 4.6L 335 lb. ft
03-04 Cobra engine 4.6L 390 lb ft.

So please explain to me how torque tells you what the displacement is? :shrug:

If you have seen my other posts I have covered MANY times how the gear ratios and rear wheel tire diameter effect the effective torque and acceleration times.

I explained at least 2 times how the 05 GT has a 0 - 60 time only slightly slower than the 03-04 Cobra because if the transmission gear ratios.

So I don't have a clue as to what you are trying to tell me on this one. :shrug:

Stang8URMPRT said:
Right when I saw it compared to a Mach 1, I knew we'd get Mach1 owners bitching. haha. I love it. You all are so defensive of your Mach 1s? Why? Who cares if the 05 makes more then your car? This is a base v-8 making more power then your 32 valve 01 Cobra motor. Why don't you just get used to it and realize your cars aren't as powerful as you all wish they are.

LOL and even after your post, some mach 1 owners have made more complaints. I have a 2002 Yellow GT and I am not complaining just because the new 05 is much better. This is really starting to turn into a bitch fest. Maybe this thread should be discontinuted if people are just going to argue. WE ALL LOVE MUSTANGS so why are we fighting? :shrug:

Stang8URMPRT said:
Right when I saw it compared to a Mach 1, I knew we'd get Mach1 owners bitching. haha. I love it. You all are so defensive of your Mach 1s? Why? Who cares if the 05 makes more then your car? This is a base v-8 making more power then your 32 valve 01 Cobra motor. Why don't you just get used to it and realize your cars aren't as powerful as you all wish they are.

LOL and even after your post, more complaints have been made. I have a 2002 Yellow GT and I am not complaining just because the new 05 is much better. This is really starting to turn into a bitch fest. Maybe this thread should be discontinuted if people are just going to argue. WE ALL LOVE MUSTANGS so why are we fighting? :shrug:

351CJ said:
:scratch: - :scratch: - :scratch:

I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to tell me, but I don't have a clue.

Torque does NOT tell you what the engine's displacement is.

99-04 GT engine 4.6L 302 lb ft
05 GT engine 4.6L 320 lb ft
03-04 Mach 1 engine 4.6L 335 lb. ft
03-04 Cobra engine 4.6L 390 lb ft.

So please explain to me how torque tells you what the displacement is? :shrug:

If you have seen my other posts I have covered MANY times how the gear ratios and rear wheel tire diameter effect the effective torque and acceleration times.

I explained at least 2 times how the 05 GT has a 0 - 60 time only slightly slower than the 03-04 Cobra because if the transmission gear ratios.

So I don't have a clue as to what you are trying to tell me on this one. :shrug:

The ratios are the same as the previous transmission. Why is everyone acting like its that big of a difference? If its faster than the current GT its due to two things better traction/weight transfer, and more hp thats it.

kirkyg

kirkyg said:
The ratios are the same as the previous transmission. Why is everyone acting like its that big of a difference? If its faster than the current GT its due to two things better traction/weight transfer, and more hp thats it.

kirkyg

I don't know why everyone is acting like there is a big difference. One of the big problems with the internet is that someone posts incorrect information and immediately many, many people accept it as fact without ever checking to see if the info. is correct.

As several of us have pointed out the MTX has the exact same gear ratios as the Mustang has been using since Feb 2002, which are almost the same as what has been used since 1999.

The '05 MTX rear end is 3.55:1 but when corrected for the larger tire diameter it's effective ratio compared to the 99-04 is 3.35 , which is almost identical to the 3.27 rear end used in the 99-04 GTs.

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: